• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

First start problems

howard

Donation Time
Took the new starter out and flashed it on the battery. Compared to the old starter, it was toast. So I reinstalled the old starter and tried to crank it again, but it was still no-go. The engine turns maybe one rev before the starter can't move the flywheel. Then it kind of "clicks" and stops. Then you can crank it for another rev and it bogs down and clicks again. It's not the starter, but it WILL be if I try to do this too many times.

I also ran an extra ground line from the engine block to the frame. No difference.

I talked to the machinists and they said I should unbolt the tranny, etc. until I get a loose engine. I said to myself, "Self, that's what you paid THEM for. They can do it again." Looks like I'll be removing my engine again.:(

Thanks for the encouragement/suggestions. I believe I caught my second wind and am up to this project. If the car was in sad shape, I'd probably sell it off, but she's in great shape except for this. I'm really anxious to get 'er back on the road- in this "Year of Maxwell Smart!"

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Howard, I think the machinist knows what the problem is. If I remember correctly, It has been many years ago and it was a Ford C6, but if the torque converter is not properly engaged on the flywheel the bell housing will still pull up to the engine block, but will jam the engine. The solution is to back off the bell housing bolts, and properly engage the torque converter.

But...I'm not sure this is a possible problem on the Alpine with automatic. I've never messed with them.

Bill

howard

Donation Time
That's exactly what he (the machinist) said. But since I wouldn't know how to align the TC to the engine anyway, I'd better make him do it.

Wombat

Donation Time
Can't be exactly sure about the Alpine, but the Borg Warner 35 behind the 1725 in a Hillman Hunter has two tangs or "fingers" (for want of the correct technical term) on the back of the torque convertor that engage in two slots in the front pump of the transmission. The manual says to turn the engine so these are at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions, and to use a screwdriver to rotate the slots to the same position. I have not been able to find a picture of these. I have only ever removed an automatic transmission, never installed one.

The alignment of these things might be your problem. Good Luck.