• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

fire...fire...

Crash Bang Alpine

Donation Time
Looks like we could use a little help on the wiring of a v-6 conversion. I played around with trying to get positive ground series ll gauges to work with a negative ground battery installation and managed to get a fire under the dash. The question is....what is the procedure for the wiring system on a v-6 conversion since (I assume) the v-6 conversion needs a negative ground setup.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I don't know what stage you are at with your conversion, but I would consider converting to a full negative ground system. It may cost a bit more in the short term, but less hassle in the future. As you have already found out, one little mishap and you have your thread topic. It may be a good chance to replace your old wiring if you haven't already.

Good Luck,

Merry Christmas, Robin.

Sownman

Donation Time
Looks like we could use a little help on the wiring of a v-6 conversion.

Now this is just over the top. I read in another thread about Tipines where you guys are buying up Tigers and converting them to phoney "Alpines" but at least have the decency to convert the Tigers to factory correct "Alpines"

This V6 stuff is just too much. Whats next, Mazda rotary conversions ?

:) Steve
B9473720

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Whats next, Mazda rotary conversions ?

:) Steve
B9473720
It's been done.

Received: from triumph.cs.utah.edu by alpine.b17a.ingr.com (5.65c/1.921207)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 22:52:26 -0700
Subject: Mazda conversion
To: alpines@autox.team.net

I have had several requests to share some of my insights into using a Mazda rotary engine in an Alpine after posting a description of my Series I in hopes of gaining fame and recognition of having the oldest running Alpine.

For those of you who are considering an engine swap, I can't reccommend a better choice than a Mazda rotary from an RX-7. The rotary fits nicely in the engine compartment with only slight modifications to the cross-member and the transmission tunnel. The only clearance problem is between the header and the right side steering control arm. I used a header kit from Racing Beat in CA (aftermarket RX-7 supplier)to fabricate my own header. The first bend is very tight, but I have been driving the car for an estimated 20-25K miles and haven't burned a hole in the headers yet. While not lightning quick, the car is lively and has been extremely reliable. With only three moving parts in the engine, there isn't much to go wrong except the occasional starter or alternator failure. My car does run hot and I avoid rush hour traffic in New York city, but I used the stock Alpine radiator. I plan on changing to a larger capacity radiator and think this will cure the problem.

The conversion required a little over a year to complete, but a lot of general restoration of the car was involved as well. How much you spend on an engine is proportional to how much horsepower you feel you need. I would say plan on spending around $1,000 to $1,500 for a slightly modified rebuilt engine. There are several different models of the RX-7 engine. I would suggest using a 13B from the early 80's. These seem to be more abundant and parts for the earlier 12A are getting harder to find. The biggest factor in horsepower is the size of the intake and exhaust ports. I would reccommend giving your engine what is usually refered to as "street porting". You can have a shop do this when you buy the engine or there are books on how to do it yourself. The rest of the parts needed to complete the conversion will probably run about another $1,000. Keep in mind parts for the rotary engine are not cheap either. The spark plugs have a special three prong electrode and run about $6 a piece!

The list of bits and pieces needed for this conversion seems endless. If anyone is seriously considering installing a rotary I would be happy to answer specific questions and share the drawings I made when fabricating all the various bits and pieces.

If you want to convert the engine in your Alpine for whatever reasons-go with the rotary. It makes the car great fun to drive and I take great pride in the fact I did virtually all the work myself.

Scott Rohr
Series I
B9000839 (Powered by Mazda)

PS. I still haven't seen anyone confirm an earlier car that runs:)

65beam

Donation Time
rotary power

i think it was at suni 3, there was a light blue alpine from the west coast that had a rotary in it .if i remember correctly the owner was a commercial pilot . it was a real neat installation and ran very strong . does anybody remember this car ? then there was tiger tom's 69 GT with a highly modified rotary .he built this car probably somewhere late 70 's or early 80's .hence the name rotorooter that was given to it .it's still setting somewhere in maryland .trust me, it was quite a car and handled great with the rack and modified steering . installing rotarys in alpines dates back many years .