• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fire extinguishers

Pumpkin

Donation Time
TO those of you that do have one in your car" Highly recomended" It is time to remove it and , re settle the powder, if you have that style. If you do not have one.. don't wait for the fire dept, just call the insurance guys.

An expert in the field told me to just turn it over bottom up and slap it a couple of times with a rubber mallet. Then shake it a bit to check it out.
This will re fluff the stuff in side.
I did and it sounds like it actually flows around..
You may do this to your home and garage ones too.
My 2 P
Chuck

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
I have a good friend who is a fire professional. He's preached this for years and I am a believer. It specially holds true for the extinguisher that suffers vibrations. (read vehicles, boats, aircraft) As the potato chip bag says, "contents may settle during transportation"

AlpineII

Donation Time
Comparing all we invest in the mechanics and appearance of our cars, the $40 or so for a decent quality extinguisher is a small investment.

Wombat

Donation Time
Twenty-some years ago a friend and I came across a Ford Cortina on fire. The fuel inlet fitting to the carburettor had cone out and the fuel had caught fire on the hot exhaust. Luckily we were carrying a fire extinguisher and put the fire out. I have never driven anywhere without one since. I have also heard of the recommendation to shake the dry powder extinguishers occasionally. Cheap Insurance.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
And secure it

Put it where you can reach it. If you attached it inside the cab (where you are) or attach it to a roll bar, use only steel, not that plastic crap they come with, and make sure it is really really strongly tied to something really really strong. If you crash, that thing is an absolute missile and it never seems to miss the driver...

Pumpkin

Donation Time
fire fire!

Put it where you can reach it. If you attached it inside the cab (where you are) or attach it to a roll bar, use only steel, not that plastic crap they come with, and make sure it is really really strongly tied to something really really strong. If you crash, that thing is an absolute missile and it never seems to miss the driver...

I have mine in the boot.. It is unlocked while driving and is velcroed to a pad in there. Right on! the suggestion on quick access plus the cab missile deal..
In my van it is located in the rear and mounted with a steel clasp. In my garage I have 2, one about three steps from the bench and one in the front near the big door.
Cheers
chuck in rainy Oregonn;=(