• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Finally, starting my 63 Alpine/ 91 miata hybrid build

Doobs

Donation Time
Finally, starting my 63 Alpine/ 91 miata hybrid build w/ pics

Finally got all my plans/drawings/measurements done, and its time to finally start the build.

The 63 Alpine: undercarriage, and lower body rotten... already completely gutted interior, and removed all trim, door handles and bumpers as I dont need any of it.

The 91 Miata: light front end damage

THE PLAN : pull motor, transmission, and rear end. Cut all undercarriage and floor out of alpine

Cut the body off the miata leaving the floor pans and firewall intact on the unibody.

attach the alpine body to the miata floor etc.
cut and attach miata fenders & quater panels to sunbeam for a flared look.
instal miata door handels and lock mechanisms.
cut and place miata fuel filler cap on drivers side rear quater panel.
fab miata firewall with alpine body to fit miata dash etc.
fab in and instal late model t-bird headlights to replace alpine pot-headlights
custom fab front valence incorporating miata bumper brace.
rebuild rear fins to a series 5 style
and french rear bumper
fab in miata electric window mechanism
attach miata side mirrors.
build interior fabbing in miata door panels, seats, dash and center counsel.
install new alpine door, window and roof seals.
instal new rear window.
Paint EXT british racing green
instal drop kit
instal 18 inch rims

Thats the rough explanation, to fully explain would take hours and hours. as for how everything will fit..and i measured, remeasured, remeasured and...... everything is very do-able, just time consuming!!!

Pictures of miata and alpine probably tomorrow and I will post pics as I progress..

And i will be putting up for sale the exterior trims, interior, and misc suspension and powertrain after i get it all catalogued and pics taken

As well if ANYONE has any IDEAS, THOUGHTS or EXPERIENCE...feel free to chime in !!!!!!!!

Doobs

Donation Time
probably a MAZPINE !!

I just need to decide is it a 1991 Mazpine............or......1963 Mazpine !!!!!

Im thinkin a 63 Mazpine since i am keeping the alpine vin tag and will be registering it as a 63 Alpine !!!

What are you going to call it when it's done .... piñata :rolleyes:

Doobs

Donation Time
Well its good news today...fellow member is planning on taking the powertrain and other parts off my hands :D ...whatever he doesnt take I will put up for sale !!!

So atleast I wont have a pile of parts in the shed waiting for a new home !!!

Doobs

Donation Time
due to a couple of private messages i have received..here are the dimensions between a 63 alpine and a 91 miata

ok well here are some dimension comparisons..

Wheelbase Alpine..86 inches Miata...90 inches

Length Alpine..155 inches Miata...158 inches

Width Alpine..60.5 inches Miata...64 inches

Height Alpine..51.5 inches Miata...49 inches

these dimensions are the reason i chose a miata for the build !!!

Doobs

Donation Time
I have a question for some of you......Im a tad confused...is it easier to cut the alpine body off in one peice or cut the front half and back half apart under the door rocker panels?? Thus having two peices for better handling or leave whole (more difficult to handle)for a more intact instal?

Cant decide which is best ??????

Jim E

Donation Time
On the Hot rod power tour that came thru Columbia one of the high profile cars was called rusty. This was a rusty 56 chevy wagon that had been gafted onto a late model caprice pan/drive train. Was very cool so I can see chopping an Alpine off its rusty bottom four inches and graft it to another platform. I just would leave it at that and not gratf the Miata bits onto the alpine, would be way cool!

Doobs

Donation Time
I completely see your point....however.....
all the parts to build it the way it has been designed have been searched out and purchased (last 1.5 yrs ) ....so steering from the plan will cost even more money and wasted money in parts i have already collected.
Plus every measurement and choice has been done to the point if ..i change the dash per say ..it will completely throw the whole interior design out the window..not to mention hundreds and hundreds in parts !!

This build is a drastic resto-mod....I like alpine look, plus i didnt have the heart to let a car this old go for scrap !!!!

On the Hot rod power tour that came thru Columbia one of the high profile cars was called rusty. This was a rusty 56 chevy wagon that had been gafted onto a late model caprice pan/drive train. Was very cool so I can see chopping an Alpine off its rusty bottom four inches and graft it to another platform. I just would leave it at that and not gratf the Miata bits onto the alpine, would be way cool!

Jim E

Donation Time
Mostly what I mean is leave the skin of the pine alone the rest would be cool. Believe me you show up at an event with an Alpine grafted on a miata chassie you will be top dog

Doobs

Donation Time
Mostly what I mean is leave the skin of the pine alone the rest would be cool.

That is do-able however the rims/tires are wide and will stick out 3 inches or so..so i need to flare the wheel-wells..thus using the miata sheet metal since they naturaly have a flare

Doobs

Donation Time
that would be awesome.....however..this is going to be for my wife...as I already have a 69 Vette Rag (which is my next resto project) for myself :D

Mostly what I mean is leave the skin of the pine alone the rest would be cool. Believe me you show up at an event with an Alpine grafted on a miata chassie you will be top dog

Jim E

Donation Time
Can see tasteful flairs the grafting on of the Miata front and rear does not work for me sort of kills the whole thing IMO. Of course it is your choice but an pretty much stock looking Alpine body on a late model chassie would be a whole new conversion deal and tottally cool. I mean way out of this world something no one has done. This is just my opinion but if the top bit of a rusty pine will weld to a Miata ..... well there you have it

Doobs

Donation Time
Well Jim I definately see what your saying ill definately check my options before i cut the miata fenders and attach them to the alpine

Someone somewhere had to have pondered this project as the 2 platforms are so similiar in dimensions it's almost scary..
as no other platform is even remotely close...
Im sure when Im done more will follow and save even more Alpines from the crusher !!!!!

Can see tasteful flairs the grafting on of the Miata front and rear does not work for me sort of kills the whole thing IMO. Of course it is your choice but an pretty much stock looking Alpine body on a late model chassie would be a whole new conversion deal and tottally cool. I mean way out of this world something no one has done. This is just my opinion but if the top bit of a rusty pine will weld to a Miata ..... well there you have it

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
I like your thought of the t-bird headlights. I've been pondering that one myself. I like to looks of those. My only concern it how to balance that look with the back end of the car.

I've also looked at headlight buckets and trim rings available through the hot rod suppliers.

Hmmm.