• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Exhaust flange studs

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
Gentlemen:

The exhaust flange (where the manifold meets with the exhaust pipe) on my SIV has two stripped studs, making it impossible to get a tight fit. I have a small exhaust leak that makes driving the car both unpleasant and dangerous.

I was perusing an old SS catalogue that showed these studas for sale (p/n A9705123). However, the latest SS catalogue does not list these, nor does the current VB (which does offer the brass nut for the stud).

I will call Rick at SS tomorrow. In the meantime, I was hoping someone might have a tip as to what to do if these are unavailable.

Mike Pennell

Wombat

Donation Time
Mike

On my SIV a previous owner had broken one or more of the studs. His fix was to drill them all out and use bolts. It was a bit fiddly to install them and you may have to grind a little off the manifold for the bolt heads to fit neatly. But it worked. It may also be possible to find a similar stud from another car, They are 5/16" UNF (maybe UNC on the end that screws into the manifold??).

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
These studs are common and could be found at many places. I have a Fastenal store near me, and I usually buy from them. Any of the big hardware stores might have them too. The real hard part is repairing those broken ends in the manifold. Yes, drilling and if you are lucky to get the old threads out. Doing this with a hand drill is almost impossible.
Jan

65beam

Donation Time
exhaust studs

sunbeam specialties does not have them . i called last week when i had the motor out of the series 4 .

Ragg Mopp

Donation Time
I just finished the same repair. Changing the engine and had 3 of the 4 studs break off. I was able to re-drill and tap the holes in the manifold. The studs are 1 1/2 inches long and have 5/16x18 coarse threads going into the manifold - about 1/2 inch threaded length and 5/16x24 fine threads for the nuts that hold the exhaust on. No one had studs but VB had the brass nuts.

I made replacements by buying 5/16 x 2 inch bolts, cut them off to length and then threaded the coarse threads onto the cut off end. I used grade 8 bolts.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Don't forget to check with Classic Sunbeam in New York - Curt may have them if Rick doesn't.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Exhaust manifolds are pretty plentiful and don't seem to have much value. I've probably got one laying around with four good bolts that I'd sell you pretty cheaply. Send me a PM if you want to go that route and I'll dig through my garage and see what I can come up with.

streetscruffers

Donation Time
another way that often works to remive broken stud is to drill out as mich as possible the run a tap down hole. this often removes the remaining metal ans leaves hole in origanal size.