• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Exhaust double-down pipes

hopsedge

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have my intake and exhaust manifolds removed, in part to replace the gasket at the double-down pipes. When I bought this car a few yrs ago (‘67 SV) a pair of headers came included in the misc parts bin. I do not know whether they would fit, but my question is:
Should I bother trying? What changes might I expect & what problems could possibly occur during installation (or afterwards)?

Also, even to dry fit the headers I will need to remove the double-down pipes. This leads to two more questions. 1) after removing the clamps beneath the car, should the double-downs slide out (i.e, forward)? How easily should this occur? Do I need to tap lightly on a wood block to break the friction at the male/female union that was formerly clamped together?
2) Instead of the headers, how about a stainless double-down, such as sold by SS? Mine is very rusted, at least cosmetically.

Acollin

Donation Time
The likelihood of those of those pipes coming apart “ easily” is slim to none if they have been up there together for time out of mind. Any signs of someone being up there before?
That said , it could happen.
My guess would be they would “dent” with light and more serious banging and not come apart and crumble ( my story) , if badly rusted, when shown the business end of a woodblock and hammer.
It might be time for some new pipes.
Good luck

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
What changes might I expect & what problems could possibly occur during installation

If the headers you are asking about are for an early series, IIRC, there will probably be interference between the #1 tube and the sV alternator.

As far as separating the exhaust parts, that will depend on how badly the intersections have been deformed by previous clamp tightening.

Hope this helps,

hopsedge

Platinum Level Sponsor
…Also, even to dry fit the headers I will need to remove the double-down pipes. This leads to two more questions. 1) after removing the clamps beneath the car, should the double-downs slide out (i.e, forward)? How easily should this occur? Do I need to tap lightly on a wood block to break the friction at the male/female union that was formerly clamped together?
Well, I can at least report back on the resolution to one of my questions. I reinstalled the pipe clamps onto the double-down but forward of the Y-union. I sprayed the union with PCBlaster and the started tapping on a wood block tested against the pipe clamps. Top, bottom, one pipe, the other, repeat. Worked like a charm. The male double-down slid right out of the female Y-union little by little until it was free.