• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Estimated cost to V-6

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Has anyone ever itemized an estimate of the total cost to do a basic, no hot rod V-6, with perhaps an upgrade to an automatic? If there's already a thread here, I'd kindly thank someone for directing me there. I frequent this board often, but seldom visit this particular section. As always, thanks in advance to those that do so much for others here.

mferris

Donation Time
Cost is highly dependent on what parts you buy new/used. My total conversion cost was ~$5500 (including Jose's kit, 2 engines, 2 transmissions, and too much money for my exhaust). I am using the stock 2 barrel carb. (this does not include new brake lines, suspension work or anything else.

I could have been more careful and saved $1K - but over the year it took me to convert - I consider all of it entertainment and education expense - not an investment.

-M

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Cost to go V6

It's difficult to give even a ballpark figure because there are so many variables. One guy might pick up an Alpine for dirt cheap and the next guy paid good money for a nice one to start with. My first V6 conversion started with a decent driver for $1800 and several years later after completing the car to my satisfaction I had $21k in the car. That includes the kit, paint and body, tires and wheels, exhaust system and everything else required. That figure does not include labor.....just hard parts, engine rebuild, transmission rebuild etc.

I am now nearing the completion of my second V6 conversion. Initial car was $6500 and 5 years later I'm into it for $24,500 and still have an exhaust system to be made. I have built many cars over the years from restorations to hot rods and the costs are generally commensurate to the desired end result.

A show car is obviously going to cost a lot because of the details and the high quality of parts used. A nice driver can be substantially less especially if you can do the work yourself. IF you can find a solid running Mustang II for cheap and get the Toyota 5 speed transmission set up (so you don't have to cut up the transmission tunnel that so many of us had to do ) that fits just about perfectly, you could possibly get away with spending under $5000 and have a nice driver. My suggestion is to buy the nicest Alpine you can afford and start from there. Jose's kit is the only way to go. For the cost involved, you can't make it yourself for the cost of his kit and it saves not only money, but a lot of time. It takes me 3 to 5 years to build a car, but that's because I do a little here and a little there and there are times when I have to save up cash for some of the expensive stuff. I have heard of some guys that have done the conversion in one or two weekends, but I am sure that they had all their parts lined up and a good game plan and possibly some friends to help out. Good luck....you will be more than pleased with your Alpine when the conversion is completed.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
John, there are just too many variables. By that, I mean the luck of the draw. You might buy an engine for $150 that has to be junked. Total loss - minus whatever cast iron is going for. Maybe you can save the heads. But it might be in really good shape. Valve job and it's ready to go. Or it might be a "good" engine but needs total rebuild, about two grand. Same for the transmission. Costs are different, but its the same story.

And the "little" things can hit hard. I had to buy flywheel bolts when I switched from flex plate to flywheel. FORTY EIGHT BUCKS! Picked up the flywheel for only $20! That was not for a V6, but who would of thought?

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
John W,

I bought a '75 Mustang II for $500.00 Took apart junked most because it was a very, very, very rusty RUST BUCKET....

Tore the engine 2.8 V6 down and delivered it to my machine Shop. They vatted it and it had a cracked cylinder wall. Then discovered both heads were cracked beyond repair.

Contacted the gent I purchased it from and He was gracious enough to give me what I needed out of a '79 Mercury Capri with 2.8 V6 manual trans 4 speed (4th gear marked OD). Got to keep the bad engine and cracked heads.Using the bad engine as a "Mockup" with my T5

It had a good engine with one head cracked that was reparable.

Found two more heads the were NEW ORIGINAL STOCK for a $100.
They had been sitting on a shelf in a friends shop since 1976. What luck can a man have?

Up to this time I had two of the "prized" Timing Covers and one correct Bellhousing. Found another Timing cover and Bellhousing for $100. Didn't need but bought just to have for my next conversion.

What I guess I'm saying is you can spend more than you need or watch carefully an spend only what you need.

As another example I found the correct oil filter adapter for "our" conversion at a Junk Yard for $20then turned around an bought two more for $30. How's that for saving money??;)

Come see me John when you get a chance. I'll enlighten you on some of my modifications.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I don't keep recipes or keep a total, but some things (like 6 bucks for a bolt that's about an inch long) just seem to hang around forever.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
V6

the original owner of our red Harrington kept all receipts for the car from the time he bought it. we have continued to keep every receipt for it. we have files for each sunbeam that we have restored with receipts for everything we've spent on them including all of doug's notes for the cars he restored and the same with the local shop that did the body work on a couple others. we have found that most that do restoration work keep notes on the cars as they proceed. we have a file started on the RHD Harrington for everything spent on it so far. it helps to have files if you have an insurance claim on four of the cars like we did several years back. there were no problems getting the cars restored again since we could document what had been done to them. we also have files for our regular cars including the monthly GM on star reports for them. we don't bother to add up the totals of the receipts. it might be scary!

mferris

Donation Time
Wait...... You mean you guys actually keep track?

Yea, well - I *had* a spreadsheet which listed every single purchase I made (including shop supplies). I got past the $5500 for the V6 conversion, then kept going - to $14K. Then I stopped. I have no idea now, nor do I want to know.

I was asking these exact same questions 2.5 years ago - now I fully understand why it is important *not* to keep track (at least for the type of rust-bucket/shade-tree conversion that I'm doing).

-M

gordonra

Donation Time
I did my conversion to a stock v6 and took my time finding components. I modified Ranger water pump pulley, was lucky enough to find an engine that had less than 10k original miles. Replaced the seals, T5 from ebay that needed no work, custom clut.ch disk and drive shaft, radiator modification, headers and install kit, custom dual exhaust, for less than $3500.

I'm sure this is much lower than others, but I was very patient looking for parts and did everything except the exhaust myself.

Now I'm putting in all the standard performance mods... The heads have the large valves, nearly new Holley 390, offenhauser intake, cast valve covers, etc. And I'm really looking forward to it!

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I did my conversion to a stock v6 and took my time finding components. I modified Ranger water pump pulley, was lucky enough to find an engine that had less than 10k original miles. Replaced the seals, T5 from ebay that needed no work, custom clut.ch disk and drive shaft, radiator modification, headers and install kit, custom dual exhaust, for less than $3500.

I'm sure this is much lower than others, but I was very patient looking for parts and did everything except the exhaust myself.

Now I'm putting in all the standard performance mods... The heads have the large valves, nearly new Holley 390, offenhauser intake, cast valve covers, etc. And I'm really looking forward to it!

Not to hijack the thread, but could you post how you modified the ranger water pump pulley.

And counting everything so far, I'm into it for about $7900.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Two points I'd like to make.....

Rich is right that this can be done very reasonably if you go about it methodically. Where guys like me get in trouble is when I get a bright idea and break form the plan. Update this, change that, and the phrase "hey that sounds good-it's only $XX or $XXX and while I'm in there...." Make a plan and stick to it.

Meet other Darksiders. We know the short cuts. We like to help each other. No use reinventing the wheel. We have sources for the parts you'll need. Most of us buy the hard to find stuff when we see it with the intent to help Darksiders to come. I'll be home in Phoenix in a few weeks and can't wait to look for the parts I promised other Forum members I'd look for.

coupe

Donation Time
I did mine 2 yrs ago and have about $7000.00 in it. I will add that I cut down a ford 8" rear end with new gears and a new axel made up with a rebuild kit for it. Also the brakes lines wheel cyls. shoes and emergency brake cables to complete the install. Add the rest, oversize valves, seats, head work, rebuild of the engine, offenhauser and 390 carb, radiator, new dizzy and dura spark box.
Of course an electric fuel pump and oil pressure cut off for it. There is alot to look for and think over. The only things I paid others to do was the axel, 2.9 valves and seats install, radiator, drive shaft and turning of the t5 input shaft.
There is alot of help on this forum so dont worry about getting bogged down on a problem, grab it by the horns and have a good time.
Coupe

coupe

Donation Time
I did mine 2 yrs ago and have about $7000.00 in it. I will add that I cut down a ford 8" rear end with new gears and a new axel made up with a rebuild kit for it. Also the brakes lines wheel cyls. shoes and emergency brake cables to complete the install. Add the rest, oversize valves, seats, head work, rebuild of the engine, offenhauser and 390 carb, radiator, new dizzy and dura spark box.
Of course an electric fuel pump and oil pressure cut off for it. There is alot to look for and think over. The only things I paid others to do was the axel, 2.9 valves and seats install, radiator, drive shaft and turning of the t5 input shaft.
There is alot of help on this forum so dont worry about getting bogged down on a problem, grab it by the horns and have a good time. I even made a black walnut dash and put in new gages spdo ect.
Coupe

gordonra

Donation Time
Not to hijack the thread, but could you post how you modified the ranger water pump pulley.

And counting everything so far, I'm into it for about $7900.

Unfortunately I didn't keep my notes for the dimensions but should be able to recreate it if necessary.

Basically all I did was to cut the front of the pulley down. Then turned a hub that fit the boss and milled a bolt pattern that matched the water pump. Weld the hub to the cut down pulley with fusion TIG to keep the balance.

I also designed a supercharger pulley for the 2.8 but not sure it ever got installed.

Rich

Firebuff

Donation Time
just finishing one now...

I am just finishing my conversion now.. Minus the wiring harness.. Its up and running.. I sent the original poster a PM.. Feel free to call me on the number I sent you.. I'm on the West coast so remember the time difference and I can fill you in on what I know.. So far.. $8000. with labor included... Roughly..

sd_pace

Donation Time
I keep the reciepts in a bag hanging on the wall, but havent looked at them... have the running tab in my head.... I took my time and was pretty lucky to find the parts, and for what I paid for them over the last 5 years. All thats left now is just my time to assemble it ... (wish the weather was a little warmer) but by the time its all said and done I expect to be under 9000.00...:eek:
steve

kmathis

Donation Time
Well, I am into mine about 8K, I have a break down of the parts, however for some reason, I can't seem to find the attachment icon to attach a file. I figured about $5500.00 to start with, and then there was a bit of scope creep, that always seem to stretch things out a bit.
Fun project, and wait till you get behind the wheel after the conversion...zooommm...:)

If you want a cost breakdown and a fairly complete parts list, I have one. Send me an e-mail and I will send as an attachment.