• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Engineers etc.

V_Mad

Donation Time
I noticed that there are two distinct groups of people posting in the technical section of this forum; those (like myself) who have an engineering or science background, and those who presumably dont.

The differences in approach often become apparent when someone makes a statement with which another disagrees. Unfortunately, instead of thinking about the person's posting, and trying to see the problem from another point of view, they respond in a defensive way, which then often leads to a defensive counter response, including liberal does of cleverly disguised sarcasm, and this can all spiral out of control. In the end, the person posting the original question is left high and dry, and possibly confounded.

Let's all have a bit more patience and consideration. Those with good practical experience deserve to be treated with respect, and not bombarded by science. Equally, there is nothing wrong with applying a bit of theory to see if it helps us to better understand the problem, and keep our cars on the road. After all, it was a engineering that got them there in the first place.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I totally agree. Almost every day I get emails from people wanting to ask a question but are sometimes too scared to post it on the forum for fear of sarcastic barbs.

Remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer.
Many here on this board are gifted with superior mechanical skills - please be patient with the rest of us and share your knowledge so we can all get more Alpines back on the road.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Add my thanks also

It is too easy on remote conversations to get beyond good manners and taste. I am here because I have found a great bunch of folks who have a very wide variety of experience and skills...all have been enormously helpful. I hope I can return the favors sometime. The occasional snarkiness just makes me want to go away. It's an election year, enough of that crap is in the air already.

skywords

Donation Time
I was born with a foot in my mouth. I've tried to remove it but it just won't budge. Take what I say with a grain of salt or tell me I'm full of crap it won't bother me.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Like a brick wall!

The ability to take constructive criticism or input from others in order to learn is a must, remember I said constructive criticism. As a young want to be mechanic it is important to hear every view and to decide what is best for you. I am too poor to be cheep with respect to many things and I would rather do something one time rather than to rattle something off with dire results. It is also nice to get along as it take a less energy being positive rather than the latter.

Andrew
"Acceptance of distinct thought is the first step in personal growth"

V_Mad

Donation Time
I think its a lively forum, but we need to keep the coolant temp below about 95 (or 203 in old money).

Humour is good, but there is a fine line between humour and sarcasm, and sometimes even a bit of well intentioned humour goes completely awry! That probably says something about my humour though :)

lemansvk

Donation Time
Chris,

I was just wondering which background you had, engineering or science. :) As a scientist who works with engineers, I find the two disciplines very different. Engineers say to me "How come you are always asking why?" Or as someone once said, an engineer doesn't care why something works as long as it does - a scientist doesn't care if something works as long as he knows why (and of course marketing don't care whether or why it works as long as they can sell it :))

Cheers, Vic

V_Mad

Donation Time
Hi Vic. My background is engineering, and although my early qualifications covered science, I am just a science enthusiast, rather than professional.

I did do some research work, and I think science is more fun than engineering. But as a professional engineer in the defence sector, I was always trained to make detailed calculations to prove in theory that something can work, especially under all the environmental conditions. I say can work to emphasise that theory is rarely the answer on its own, and the practical development that goes with it is just as important.

In one of my last projects, we used a design life cycle that would start with a feasibility study, followed by concept design, then detailed design, manufacture, and finally trials and qualification. Only then we would go into full production.

Just trying to keep my brain alive as I am now semi-retired, and enjoying my Sunbeams to the full.