• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Engine vibration

jfcroni

Donation Time
Greetings All - My 1966 Aline is running OK, but seems to have a lot of vibration. The motor mounts are new VB. Any obvious wisdom on this out there?

JJames

Bronze Level Sponsor
Last year when I was swapping in an overdrive gearbox I thought I'd change the motor mounts since the engine was out of the car. It vibrated like crazy with the new mounts from SS, so I put the old ones back in and it was fine. Apparently the rubber in some of these new motor mounts is really hard. Somewhere in this forum somebody wrote about getting replacements from the Netherlands that were softer.

jfcroni

Donation Time
Last year when I was swapping in an overdrive gearbox I thought I'd change the motor mounts since the engine was out of the car. It vibrated like crazy with the new mounts from SS, so I put the old ones back in and it was fine. Apparently the rubber in some of these new motor mounts is really hard. Somewhere in this forum somebody wrote about getting replacements from the Netherlands that were softer.
That's what I'm thinking... too hard. If anyone has more info please let me know. It vibrates at idle... so I'm not looking at drive train. Thanks

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I had the same issue with mounts from Classic Sunbeam. Rick at SS said his mounts are too hard as well. Get the motor mounts from Rootes Parts Service in the Netherlands.

Mike

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
A few well-placed 1/4" holes thru the rubber (longitudinally) might loosen it up. It would pay to have the replacements in-hand, though, in case of over-perforation... Attempt at your own risk, of course, although I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try on mine if it had that problem.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I think JJames hit the nail on the head.

The "rubber motor mounts" produced in the mid-1960's were probably a blend of natural rubber (poly-cis-isoprene), synthetic natural rubber (polyisoprene) and neoprene (polychloroprene). Modern rubber compounds for everything except tires are predominantly EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer) which is stronger, more heat resistant, more chemical resistant, much less expensive, etc. One of the "et cetera's" is greater modulus / less flexibility.

Motor mounts could certainly be re-pop'ed using the orginal compounds, but $$$.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Motor mounts from Classic Sunbeam and Sunbeam Specialties have rubber that is too hard. Get the motor mounts from Rootes Parts Service in the Netherlands. Those will work fine.

Mike

jfcroni

Donation Time
Thanks all... I ordered the mounts from Rootes Parts in the Netherlands. I'll report back when installed.

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Many of Rootes Post Vintage repro items are of questionable quality, the only parts I have used with success are the Metalastik style A arm bushes. They are difficult to communicate with and completely unreasonable when it comes time to return the faulty items. Buyer beware...!

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
The new stuff from VB SS are to hard, the only ones that seem to work like the org. is the ones from Roots spares in Holland. :cool:

jfcroni

Donation Time
I received my motor mounts from Rootes today! It took about 3 weeks. They are nice and soft compared to the SS or VB mounts. Will get them on soon and let you know if there's a noticeable difference.