• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Engine/trans removal (out the bottom)

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
While fighting to replace the stock engine/trans in my SII yesterday, I had a thought. Is it easier to do it (stock or V6) from the bottom. A few month ago I helped a friend remove his TR8 engine, he'd made a stand for the crossmember and trans. Put them in place, unbolt crossmenber + trans and lift the car off the engine/trans.

Pictures in this post about GM V6 ( http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showpost.php?p=167061&postcount=34 ) suggested that the poster did it the same way. Has anyone done it with an Alpine, either stock or V6? Any opinions on 'easiness'?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The SII model makes the answer potentially ambiguous becuase there was a design change in the chassis during SII production that made it next to impossible to remove the overdrive transmission from the bottom on the earlier production models.

The engine cant be dropped out the bottom without removing the crossmember and that doesnt make much sense when you can pull the engine out the top with far less effort.

If the transmission is std (not OD) then removal out the bottom is pretty easy regardless of the series.

If you are asking about some other unknown engine/transmission then your guess is as good as mine.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
The WSM (at least the early one) suggests you remove the engine/trans as a unit. I've never done it any other way. Removing them from my SII was less than enjoyable (maybe because of the OD), even with a 2-post lift for the car and a 'engine crane'. After helping with the TR8, I looked at the Alpine. It looks like if you unbolt the crossmember (4 bolts + 2 tie-rod ends) and the trans (8 bolts) all easily accessable, one could lift the car off the one-unit engine/trans. Just wondered if anyone had tried it.

My other car is a SV with Jose kit V6. Have'nt looked to see if things might fit. Always looking for easier ways to do things and wondering if they have been tried.

Last edited:

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I have pulled the trans on my SII on its own. Its a std unit not an OD. Not sure if my model is the type that interferes with the rear of the OD unit.

I should find out becuase I have an OD trans sitting in the corner (for 10+ years) waiting to be installed.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
It's been done and documented by a TE/AE member years ago (Dave Lawler maybe???). Their conclusion was that it was about equal the work of going out the top. Pick your poison.

TR

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Another Member might have done it to (V6).....

Perhaps William (Bill) Hodge will tune in on what He did to his. Seems as if He told me he was doing the installation with the V6 sitting on the crossmember and with the T5 bolted up.

DanR

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Hillman

I hope you got my email regarding a trip to the Black Hills.

As far as engine removal - I had my original 4 cylinder from Ol' Blue, a Series V, in and out several times over the last 40 years. I always removed from the top and could have it out and on an engine stand in about 1.5 hours. I always removed it with the transmission attached. Basically I followed the procedure outlined in the Rootes Workshop Manual.

regards, Pete

The WSM (at least the early one) suggests you remove the engine/trans as a unit. I've never done it any other way. Removing them from my SII was less than enjoyable (maybe because of the OD), even with a 2-post lift for the car and a 'engine crane'. After helping with the TR8, I looked at the Alpine. It looks like if you unbolt the crossmember (4 bolts + 2 tie-rod ends) and the trans (8 bolts) all easily accessable, one could lift the car off the one-unit engine/trans. Just wondered if anyone had tried it.

My other car is a SV with Jose kit V6. Have'nt looked to see if things might fit. Always looking for easier ways to do things and wondering if they have been tried.

Cobralee1

Donation Time
Pulling the V8 Out

I purchased a '66 Sunbeam with a Buick 215 V8. We had no choice but to pull it from the top since the crossmember was welded in place.

We pulled the motor and trans out together...very tight but managed to get it out. Prior to reinstalling the motor and trans, we did do some shaving of the transmission tunnel, front crossmember and firewall to make the installation easier. Nothing that would jeopardize the structural integrity but just some shaving off of material here and there. Very doable but wouldn't want to do it again.

Alpine66

Donation Time
When I installed my v6, I did it with the engine and trans together, from the top.

I lifted the rear a good bit with jackstands on top of 5" or so of wood.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
When I removed the stock engine from my Series IV to replace it with a V6, I removed the engine first then the transmission. It was easy, because the head was off of it, so easily removed.

I soon learned that with the V6, it was much easier to remove them seperately. The engine from the top and the transmission from the bottom. I got to the point where I could remove the engine without removing the hood. I never thought of removing them from the bottom, because the Ford transmission was too long to come out that way.

I could remove the engine in less than 45 minutes, because I'd done it that many times.

While fighting to replace the stock engine/trans in my SII yesterday, I had a thought. Is it easier to do it (stock or V6) from the bottom. A few month ago I helped a friend remove his TR8 engine, he'd made a stand for the crossmember and trans. Put them in place, unbolt crossmenber + trans and lift the car off the engine/trans.

Pictures in this post about GM V6 ( http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showpost.php?p=167061&postcount=34 ) suggested that the poster did it the same way. Has anyone done it with an Alpine, either stock or V6? Any opinions on 'easiness'?