• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Engine Swap Lexus/Toyota 4.3/V8 3uz-fe??

10sbums

Donation Time
Hello,

Does anyone have any input on the feasibility and the possibilities of swapping the Lexus/Toyota 4.3 V8 into an Alpine? Thoughts have passed through my head because of the small/narrow size, all aluminum/light weight, relative low cost and availability of the engines and reliability and power available from this unit.

Any ideas or advice from anyone?

I have a low mileage donor car and thought to reach out to you guys first before going very far into the process.

Thank you in advance.
Rick

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'm interested in all engines, what year of Lexus and is it an American model?
I didn't know they had a small V8.
Jan

10sbums

Donation Time
The engine was used in quite a few Lexus/Toyota vehicles. Mine donor is a 2004 Lexus SC430. It measures 27x27x26 (W, D, H). Puts out 300 HP stock. It's a Japanese built engine.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Find a Tiger and measure the engine and engine bay.

The Ford 260 / 289 / 5.0 is a relatively small engine and barely fits in a Tiger after moving the bottom of the Alpine firewall back about 6 inches.

The Ford 260 / 289 / 5.0 is about 22 inches wide (without exhaust manifolds) and about 29 inches long (with a short water pump).

DOHC 4-valve heads are much larger than pushrod 2-valve heads. Putting a 27 inch wide engine in an engine bay that barely accommodates a 22 inch wide engine will be difficult at best.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Part of the problem is that the heads / valve covers on a Tiger extend under the upper firewall. That can be done with a short-deck pushrod 2-valve V-8, but I don't see any way to do that with big DOHC 4-valve heads.

It is about 25 inches from the Alpine firewall to the back of the radiator. That is too short for just about any V-8, but Toyota makes a very nice 3.5L V-6 that makes 300+ HP.

Finding a modern engine that will fit is only part of the challenge. A big issue with any of the modern I-4 / V-6 / V-8 engines is the OEM electronic engine management system that will not work without the very complex emissions hardware. Unless you can find / afford an aftermarket controller or modify the OEM controller, you may be SOL.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Take into consideration the Tiger (V8) changed out the entire front assy and utilizes the rack and pinion.

Many other considerations need to be looked at ...... as for the Alpine with a 2.8 V6 like my Commodore Blue V6 modification, your available room from the rear of the engine and coming forward there is about 18" between the steering assembly for a stock Alpine, forward about 5 " you get up to 20" between the frame. The length from the rear at the bellhousing to the front of the 2.8 Mutt II engine , just in front of the fan yo have 23 1/2".

Height is another area that is lacking! A mutt II from the crossmember will have about 22 tall. The front of the car slants upward in order to give that much ;)

I am doing a '94 4.0 V6 OHV in one of my Alpines and the height is a major obstacle to over come. Not to mention the length of the 4.0....

Have fun exploring the possibilities, just don't start cutting up a good Alpine then find you are beyond the point of no return.

For me my 4.0 Alpine has had no cutting or banging with a sledge hammer. I will not butcher one just to get something different.