• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Engine start outside of car

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi. Looking for some help here.
I have an engine that I bought on email that arrived bolted to a pallet. I want to fire it up before putting it in my series 2 to see how it runs.
What is the best way to wire up the engine to run it outside car. It has petronix conversion from points
I was informed that the motor came out of a running driving car that now has a miata engine. Many thanks for any advice

Attachments

• 20220412_174456.jpg
    20220412_174456.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 70

AlsPine

Donation Time
Is the engine upright on the pallet?--- ((Didn't look at the photo, 1600 engine so N/A---Did you get the oil cooler and lines with it)) Did he say how many miles it had on it?
If is upright on the palet, I would put oil in the crankcase, replace the oil filter, make sure the outlet for the oil pressure gauge is plugged by removing the fitting and get a plug at the hardware store, use one oil cooler line to connect the in to out of the oil cooler adapter, them run a compression test on the engine.
If the compression is up to 165 to 185, and no low cylinders, I would check the flywheel, and if needed have it surfaced, check the pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft and replace it if needed and install a new clutch disk and pressure plate. Then I would pull the timing cover and check the timing chain tensioner and replace if damaged.
Replacing the thermostat would be a good idea also.
At this point in the engine's life, I wouldn't try re torquing the head bolts, as it may cause a head gasket failure.

All this is better done while the engine is out of the car.
That is what I would do if I were going to install a used engine in my Alpine.
Perhaps other people on the forum may have other suggestions.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited:

AlsPine

Donation Time
Just looked at the photo. From what I could make out, he didn't give you the flywheel and starter.
I would still get everything I would need to run the compression test before installing it.
Also pay attention to any unusual sounds or knocking while cranking it over.
I wouldn't want to crank it over dry, without oil.

AlsPine

Donation Time
Also, a good opportunity to clean and paint it.
You might want to check the tightness of the pan bolts, but be careful of the side cover, as you can start a leak by over tightening those bolts.

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
It looks like the clutch pressure plate is there so the flywheel must be there (hidden by brace). Hook up an exhaust manifold, attach a starter, wire up the ignition and starter cable to momentary touch the battery, & gravity feed the gas line. It looks like the front of the engine is complete (generator & fan belt). Flush the block with water and if possible connect a radiator to check leaks & water pump, if not don't run the engine too long. Make sure the engine is well braced and good luck.

AlsPine

Donation Time
Cut and pasted the photo and enlarged it.
Yes it does have the flywheel and pressure plate attached.
The simplest thing to do is run a compression test.
As long as the compression is 160 to 185 lbs and not more than 10 to 15 lbs variance between cylinders, your good to go.
Just running it for a few seconds won't prove anything.
Just check the flywheel and re surface if necessary, install a new clutch disk, and if the budget allows a new pressure plate.

To properly check it running, you would have to run it until it came up to temperature, check the oil pressure while hot, weather it is smoking.
Wouldn't be able to hear any unusual sounds from the engine unless you installed a exhaust system.
So it just wouldn't be practical to run it.
If you are that worried, consider it a core engine and do a rebuild, then you would have a fresh engine to install in your Alpine.

AlsPine

Donation Time
I edited my 1st post, as I just assumed that anyone replacing an engine in a early Alpine would go for a 1725 engine.
Should have looked at the photo instead of starting the reply.
Was hoping to hear a response from you Londoner, please check in!
Regards

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi. Thanks for the replies! The original owner of the engine did come back to me through this site and sent me a picture of the car it came out of. He thought it was well cared for. I will attach a picture of that car in case someone recognizes it. I have the original engine to my car but its in pretty rough shape and was seized (not anymore) but the cylinder is very scorred
I am wrapping up the bodywork on the car and getting ready to paint and saw this engine on ebay. I have had the car for 15 years and I am getting anxious to get it running. I was able to rob the starter of my original motor there is also an oil cooler on my original as it was a race car from the 60s. The motor did turn over but no spark at the plugs
The petronix in the dizzie seamed to burn out. I have ordered a new one. Hoping I do not burn that one out also! I will take a better picture of the motor when I get back to NH this weekend. Thanks again for helping me out. I'll attach a picture of my car as well

Attachments

• 20220412_170617.jpg
    20220412_170617.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 40
  • CD478F5A-6509-42E2-9E87-CB767D88ADF0.jpeg
    CD478F5A-6509-42E2-9E87-CB767D88ADF0.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 39
  • EF0A1FB0-FFB5-4842-8A9E-B356FAB792D5.jpeg
    EF0A1FB0-FFB5-4842-8A9E-B356FAB792D5.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 39

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi. Thanks for the replies! The original owner of the engine did come back to me through this site and sent me a picture of the car it came out of. He thought it was well cared for. I will attach a picture of that car in case someone recognizes it. I have the original engine to my car but its in pretty rough shape and was seized (not anymore) but the cylinder is very scorred
I am wrapping up the bodywork on the car and getting ready to paint and saw this engine on ebay. I have had the car for 15 years and I am getting anxious to get it running. I was able to rob the starter of my original motor there is also an oil cooler on my original as it was a race car from the 60s. The motor did turn over but no spark at the plugs
The petronix in the dizzie seamed to burn out. I have ordered a new one. Hoping I do not burn that one out also! I will take a better picture of the motor when I get back to NH this weekend. Thanks again for helping me out. I'll attach a picture of my car as well