• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Engine rebuild

smashbeat

Silver Level Sponsor
That looks very dry for a freshly assembled short block. Generally we dump upwards of a quart of clean motor oil in the cylinders during assembly. I also have started using Engine Assembly Grease on the bearings.
I used assembly lube so far everywhere except cylinders. Pistons were soaked in engine oil before to install the. No matter how much oil you put in the cylinders the oil ring will clean it up and dump it underneath

smashbeat

Silver Level Sponsor
Turning it by hand a few Revolutions left marks on the cylinders. Normal?

Attachments

• 20220502_191852.jpg
    20220502_191852.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 31

alpine_64

Donation Time
As the block is on a rotisserie.. Pour oil in from top and bottom and let it soak down from 1 direction.. Then turn over and do the other. Not ideal...but agree the assembly looks very dry

smashbeat

Silver Level Sponsor
Alright, let's see if I can fix the dry issue.
Meanwhile I disassembled one piston, double cheched the piaton/cylinder clearance without rings and it feels right. I checked the gap of the oil ring assembly and seems fine as well.

Attachments

• 20220502_225212.jpg
    20220502_225212.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 22

alpine_64

Donation Time
Use a lint free towel to wipe the oil around the faces of the bores. Do the same for the underside. You could the gently rotate the crank to allow access to the areas you cant now.

smashbeat

Silver Level Sponsor
After a bit of soaking the engine turns a bit better. Feels tight still. But I double checked everything rotating part, gaps, bearings...
Will see when I start it if it does kaboom antld and I threw away 3k.

Nothing against fabricating the camshaft washer out of mild steel?

Attachments

• 20220503_171805.jpg
    20220503_171805.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 36

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I believe you can buy a new one. It would be a good investment, cheap insurance on what
you've spent money on. Check with the suppliers.

smashbeat

Silver Level Sponsor
I believe you can buy a new one. It would be a good investment, cheap insurance on what
you've spent money on. Check with the suppliers.
Last time I checked they were both out.
Meanwhile I checked and cleaned the timing chain oil feed and put the powder coated timing side flange
New gasket and permatex.
I went a bit ocd with bolts cleaning, but that's the side effect of owning a vapor blaster

Attachments

• 20220504_185653.jpg
    20220504_185653.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 32