• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Engine Rebuild & Tranny Switch

Mark T

Donation Time
I'm rebuilding the 2.8 V6 and changing the C4 automatic to a T5 in Sunny so that she'll get me to Tipp City on time. I'm getting ready to order the parts I need and want to make sure that I haven't overlooked anything. Here's what new and used parts I think I'll need.

For engine rebuild:

Used Offy 4V intake
New Holley 0-8007 390 cfm carb w/electric choke
New cam ground to V6 Jose's specs
Used Ranger oilpan, dipstick and oil pump pick-up (currently has Mustang oilpan)

For tranny switch:

Used T5 from a '96 or newer Mustang with the 3.8 V6
Used bellhousing & flywheel from a '74 - '78 Mustang II with a 4 speed manual tranny
New repro clutch, throw-out bearing & pressure plate from a '74 - '78 Mustang II with a 4 speed manual tranny
New Classics Instruments Electronic Speedometer pulse signal generator/sender for T5 tranny
Used driveshaft from '83 - '86 T-Bird with 3.8 V6 and automatic tranny (or from V6 with standard tranny if driveshaft diameter is 2.5" to 2.75")
New 4:11 R&P gears for existing Ford 7 1/2" chopped rear-end with Strange (28 spline) HP axles (currently 2.75 gear ratio)

The other parts that I think I'll need but have questions about:

Hydraulic master and slave cylinders (new, used, source, part number?)
Transmission input shaft pilot bearing (new, used, source, part number?)
Transmission mount from V6 Jose/Jim E kit or used transmission mount from a '74 Mustang II?
Used shifter (Ranger or ?)

Have I overlooked anything else?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

lardbird

Donation Time
Mark,

When you get the oil pump pick up from the Ranger, don't forget to get the main cap bolts that go with it. They have threaded studs coming off the back and I looked forever for them. The Ford dealership parts guy just laughed at me.

Good luck,
Bob

Mark T

Donation Time
Thanks Bob! That's just the type of insight that could make the difference between having the car ready on time or not!

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Here's what new and used parts I think I'll need.

For engine rebuild:

Used Offy 4V intake

Mark: You don't need to buy a used intake; they are still available new, and for close to the price that used ones are bringing on eBay. I bought one from PAW (http://www.pawinc.com/) a few weeks ago for $387, plus $15 shipping/handling. That's about $25 less than a new one sold for recently on eBay and not a lot more than good condition used ones usually bring.

Mark T

Donation Time
Thanks Jim! I already have a used one that I picked up on eBay for $195 a few months ago. I have most of the used parts that I need and a line on most of the new parts. I should have mentioned that when I posted. Sorry! What I still need is a transmission mount (V6 Jose/Jim E kit or used transmission mount from a '74 Mustang II), a shifter
as well as info on what hydraulic master and slave cylinders and transmission input shaft pilot bearing (new, used, source, part number?) to use. Thanks!

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
What year of Ranger Oil Pan

Mark,

When you get the oil pump pick up from the Ranger, don't forget to get the main cap bolts that go with it. They have threaded studs coming off the back and I looked forever for them. The Ford dealership parts guy just laughed at me.

Good luck,
Bob

Would it matter what year of Ranger oil plan?

lardbird

Donation Time
I bought a driveshaft for an 83-88 Tbird 3.8L AOD off ebay recently. What I received today was not really what I was expecting and I'm wondering if I can get one of you guys that have installed this shaft on our Alpine to confirm if I got the right one or not.

The yoke has a 4-7/8" diameter flange above the ujoint and the diameter of the shaft is 2-3/4". Length (ujoints on centers) is a little over 50".

A pic is posted at sprattstro.googlepages.com/alpine (don't add a www)

Is this really the right shaft?

Thanks guys,
Bob