• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

engine identification

hotrod

Donation Time
I just purchased an engine and gearbox which were listed locally on Craigs list.
The PO said it was a 1725. He based this on the fact that he removed it from a 67 alpine when he replaced it with a Ford small block. However when I got there and inspected it, I got surprised. The s/n on the engine is B399002099. It looks like a 1725. Has twin side draft strombergs, dipstick into block. Bought it anyway, because price of $150 seemed right. He said it was running when removed.
Anyone have any idea what this came from?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I just purchased an engine and gearbox which were listed locally on Craigs list.
The PO said it was a 1725. He based this on the fact that he removed it from a 67 alpine when he replaced it with a Ford small block. However when I got there and inspected it, I got surprised. The s/n on the engine is B399002099. It looks like a 1725. Has twin side draft strombergs, dipstick into block. Bought it anyway, because price of $150 seemed right. He said it was running when removed.
Anyone have any idea what this came from?

B395------- is the range of the SV alpine engine.
There are other cars the engine made its way into so perhaps its a rootes arrow engine of some sort.
Since it has the block based dip stick, at least you know its a 5 main, but it could be a 1500 or 1725cc with alloy or iron head.
Each of the above are significantly different engines internally.

Arrow engines are mounted at an angle whereas the series alpines are vertical.
Because of the angled mounting, the arrow engines dont use the same front mounting plate as the alpine and also use a different water pump.
The intake on an angled install is at a different angle than vertical so not all parts are the same.

If the engine is an alloy head, the engine can at least be converted into a series alpine appropriate engine, if its an iron head then its probably not worth the effort and extra costs for parts you dont have.

Hopefully I havnt confused you too much and good luck.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
To settle the displacement question (if it remains) isn't 1724 cast into the side of those blocks?

Ken

hotrod

Donation Time
It appears to have the same oil pan as my series 5. But it was last installed in an alpine. Has an aluminum cylinder head.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
It appears to have the same oil pan as my series 5. But it was last installed in an alpine. Has an aluminum cylinder head.

Well if it was truly installed in a series alpine and has an alloy head then its a go.

You should expect to see the motor mounts or its holes on the front plate if its been in a series alpine.

hotrod

Donation Time
I was just curious about its origin. I really bought it for spare parts because the price seemed right.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The serial number is for an Alpine GT fastback. If the head is with it, it's slightly different from Series V heads. Besides a few cosmetics, the intake ports are narrower, reducing peak hp by about 5 (according to the manuals). Also, I 'think' the GT heads came with single valve springs, vs dual on Series heads.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
My SV had a B399 engine from a GT Alpine on it when I bought it in 1977. As I understood it (a friend of mine owned the car right after the engine swap, but I bought it from a later owner) the PO had used the 399 block but transferred over all of the B395 internals and the original head when the original block cracked. It did have the finned aluminum oil pan on it, which has carried over to the current engine.