• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Engine break-in oil pressure

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Hey, everyone:

Got what I think may be a problem but I don't know for sure. I'm done with the motor in my Series I vintage racer (1600 cc) and I've been trying to get the motor pre-lubed prior to firing it up. I filled the sump with oil and even filled the oil cooler for quicker oiling. So far, so good.

Now, here's the problem, or at least what I think is the problem. I've been told that I should be able to get oil pressure to show up on the gauge (original mechanical unit) just by cranking with the starter. I've cranked and cranked and cranked, anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds at a time, and have so far not been able to show any oil pressure on the gauge. I have pulled the oil pressure line loose from the passenger side of the block and was rewarded with a puddle of oil on the floor before I was able to get it back together. I've also determined that there is oil getting to the brass "T" fitting between the two halves of the rocker shaft. By following the oil flow chart in the manual, it appears to have oil throughout the system, but still no pressure on the gauge.

So, what gives? I've got the plugs out of the motor so it cranks over at a pretty good clip (at least it does for a British starter...). What have the rest of you guys experienced? Is this pretty well what happens or do I have a problem? The gauge was working when I disassembled the car so I have no reason to think that the gauge is the culprit. Can someone shed a little light on what is quickly turning into a frustratingly bleak situation for me? I'm about at the end of my rope...

Thanks in advance,

AndrewM

Donation Time
Andy,

I doubt that you will be able to generate enough pressure to register anything on the gauge by just cranking the engine over with the starter, too few RPMs to generate any volume/pressure. I suspect that the gauge is not calibrated or accurate enough to show pressure at the RPMs that the starter is generating.

To be safe, check/test (if you can) your gauge to make sure it is working before start-up.

Andrew