• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Engine bay pictures.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi Michael

The strap on the coil is the original It's not chrome, just a bit of over zealous cleaning !
I have cleaned and polished most of the metal and brass parts in the engine bay and some have come up a bit bright, but they should settle down in the next couple of months.

The domed rocker cover nuts...I have no Idea ! What I could do with is a picture of a factory engine bay as I have nothing to reference my car with.

I have a picture of my engine bay taken in 1979 and they are domed on that...but that doesen't mean the car came out the factory like that...maybe you can help ?

the parts list will list the correct ones.. but i will provide you with a factory image of a SIV engine bay later tonight.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi Michael,

Will the parts list state whether or not the nuts were a dome nuts?

Regards, Robin.

The parts list cross references to the list of all screws/nuts/washers/bolts etc.. and its stated there.. when i get home i will get a pic from the factory fresh cars though.. however im quite sure they are not domed.. though i put them on my car as they look so much better.

64beam

Donation Time
The parts list cross references to the list of all screws/nuts/washers/bolts etc.. and its stated there.. when i get home i will get a pic from the factory fresh cars though.. however im quite sure they are not domed.. though i put them on my car as they look so much better.

Looking at a number of engine pictures in the Brooklands gold portfolio book, it certainly looks like the nuts were standard type and not dome nuts. I assume they used standard nuts, so that the rocker cover could be re-tensioned easier. I agree though, the dome nuts do look alot better.

Regards, Robin.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Domed nuts were not fitted from new - I put them on my car 30+ years ago and they do look better than plain ones.

John Boggis

Donation Time
John,

Really nice engine bay.. couple of quick questions...

Chromed strap on coil ? Domed rocker cover nuts... these are not original to the car are they?

Michael...I have taken the domed nuts off and put new nuts on the rocker cover and updated the pictures !

Thanks for your help

65beam

Donation Time
engine pictures

good grief, you two guys are good at making a mountain out of a mole hill. the valve covers had 1/4-28 hex nuts . john's car looks good .detailing is the thing that separates a great car from an ordinary car .in concourse judging , the detail work and cleanliness makes all the difference in who walks away with the prize . keep up the good work john !

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
65Beam,
I would agree with you! This is a personal preference though. Another great thing about humans, so many varying opinions. I guess for the purist this is a no-no. For the enthusiast it could be a matter of having his own canvas. I used the same acron nuts on mine but they were actually peaked. A couple of pics for perusal.

Jim

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Geez louise...

If you're going to get picky about the domed nuts, you'll have vapor lock when you see my project done...:D

Just a few points to make. I am sure that not every new Alpine was exactly like the one before it. Suppliers make small changes during runs. This might be a different color/colour that it was in the last run. A vendor can't supply a component and the buyer has a choice as to whether to let the line stop or get something similar that does the job to spec.

Manufacturers make small changes to improve the product and sometimes substitute a better piece without changing the part number.

Same thing. People change on the assembly line. There will be small differences.

From here it appears John has a near museum class restoration. I don't think Lord Rootes is turning over in his grave because of the domed nuts. I think he'd be pleased.

Now about my project.... Aw there he goes....NOW he's spinning..

65beam

Donation Time
engine bay

i like the acorn nuts also . i have them on my 69 GT only they're chrome . we have a hardware store that caters to the many street rodders around and they stock an unbelievable quantity of chrome bolts ,nuts , spacers, etc. they also have stainless on just about anything you can name . i just finished the engine bay on our series 5 today and it has a lot of stainless bolts ,etc . when we go to a british car show that is popular vote, we pass up the cars that don't have their hoods or trunks open . john has nothing to hide so show it john .

64beam

Donation Time
good grief, you two guys are good at making a mountain out of a mole hill. the valve covers had 1/4-28 hex nuts . john's car looks good .detailing is the thing that separates a great car from an ordinary car .in concourse judging , the detail work and cleanliness makes all the difference in who walks away with the prize . keep up the good work john !

Hi,

No one is detracting John's immaculately prepared Series IV (I wish mine was that good). I don't know if John enters his car into concourse, but sometimes it is the small things like nuts and bolts that stop you from going home with the trophy (not that John is worried about that). In defence to Michael, who I assume you are referring to has a great eye for detail. That is why he asks these questions, not to put down the owner. Keep up the great work John, there are not too many Alpines in the condition of yours.

Regards, Robin.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
If you're going to get picky about the domed nuts, you'll have vapor lock when you see my project done...:D

Just a few points to make. I am sure that not every new Alpine was exactly like the one before it. Suppliers make small changes during runs. This might be a different color/colour that it was in the last run. A vendor can't supply a component and the buyer has a choice as to whether to let the line stop or get something similar that does the job to spec.

Manufacturers make small changes to improve the product and sometimes substitute a better piece without changing the part number.

Same thing. People change on the assembly line. There will be small differences.

From here it appears John has a near museum class restoration. I don't think Lord Rootes is turning over in his grave because of the domed nuts. I think he'd be pleased.

Now about my project.... Aw there he goes....NOW he's spinning..

If he was alive to see my stuff and some of the projects that are going on he would spin right down to the center of the earth

skywords

Donation Time
Wow that is nice. But how do expect to get that British car smell when there is no oil dripping about?

alpine_64

Donation Time
65beam,

I was not having a go at Johns car, i was asking about those parts because his car is so original (and we have ben discussing it in terms of originality) but i spotted a couple of things that i didnt think were "factory correct".

I pointed out in my post that i have those domed nuts on my car (i removed the originals to do so as i like them more) but Johns car is a very unique survivor and as such a chance to have a factory correct car, once you start personalising them with little things they are no longer a factory car...

when we do concourse here its about concourse originality, its as it left the factory.. not what parts you could buy in period from the local speed shop to make it look better go faster etc.. putting domed bolts on under our rules will lose you points.. Its johns car and he can do what he wishes, but he has expressed his interest in keeping it original (as per his discussion on tyres, hoses etc) so i thought i would point those things out as they seemed to have been there when he got the car so he may not have bene aware of the change.

I think Robi understands where im coming from.. i love johns car.. i thnk its great, im trying to help him, not slander him.

John Boggis

Donation Time
Michael...I have taken the domed nuts off and put new nuts on the rocker cover and updated the pictures !

Thanks for your help

Hi Michael... I have not taken any offence at your comments, on the contrary I welcome anyone that can help me to restore my Alpine to factory spec.

I would appreciate it if you could send me the engine bay pics you have.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
I am enthusiastic about the use of stainless fittings, but in some situations the bright finish can appear at odds with the originals. When I restored a Lambretta "D" some years ago I used stainless and gave each item a light sand blasting - this gives an appearance similar to cadmium plating and looks good.

64beam

Donation Time
I am enthusiastic about the use of stainless fittings, but in some situations the bright finish can appear at odds with the originals. When I restored a Lambretta "D" some years ago I used stainless and gave each item a light sand blasting - this gives an appearance similar to cadmium plating and looks good.

Hi Tony,

I agree, sand blasting stainless steel give it a very nice finish. My Dad used to do this with the machines that he built. The only problem was that once blasted, it would mark easier. They used a stainless oil to bring it up very nicely. I would definately recommend it as well.

Regards, Robin.

Jim E

Donation Time
Guess I am vering off topic here.... but as a side note I have a one/original owner car, SV, with original rubber mats, under 24k miles with one respray coming in for a freshen up some time here in the next week or so. Hoping it is a very correct car and am thinking to do a detailed photo documentation of the car. Not real sure what we can do with the images but maybe, that is provided the car is as original as I am thinking it is, we can post them or someone may want them or some such.

Oh and by the way the owner is in the rubber buisness and says he can repop the mats.....now that would be something!

alpine_64

Donation Time
John,

Having some issues with my scanner.. will do it at work on monday and send to you.

65beam.. (dont know your name) I was simply pointing out why i had pointed these things out to John as you seemed to have an issue with my observations, fortunatly John seems to be fine with it.