• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

End of a 34-year love affair. Matilda needs a new owner.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Sadly - you have no idea how sadly - I have to end my 34-year love affair with Matilda. The calendar, I'm afraid, is catching up to me in a hurry; 78 is just around the corner.

It took me over a month to fit the new pistons/rings and get everything back together, time the ignition etc., and it just about wasted me, especially being without a lift. Everything is now complete and the engine starts and runs immediately, and gives 40psi on hot 15/40 Rotella.

However, infirmity can't be ignored. Tomorrow I go for hand surgery to correct a tendon problem that caused a hell of a lot of pain wielding the tools, so I haven't been able to adjust the lifters ("tappet clearance" in Limey). When the hand heals the next thing is a left knee replacement, so the prospect of being able to press the clutch and turn the non-power assisted steering are remote.

Matilda is a good, solid car with no rust. I am the second owner, and the first had her undersealed, which was a wise decision. Send me a P.M. if interested. I'm not looking for a lot of money, just someone who will take care of my baby. The authentic UK license plate is included, but not the badge bar. (I'll post this in the Modified section, too.)

Matilda1_zpsecaa174f.jpg

Matilda3_zpsf9546a2f.jpg

Matilda2_zpsbffa7c87.jpg

Matilda4_zps0fe84c3d.jpg

Jersey Alpine

Donation Time
It's will be sad day for the SAOCA when you no longer grace our club site with your words of Alpine wisdom. Big Bummer.

When it's time to sell the Alpine, you may want to give the 2015 Mecum Auction in Harrisburg, PA a try next summer. The NOV Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car list a 1967 Lime green, #3 driver condition Alpine for $15K. See it on page 90.

All the best,
Vlad
Jersey Alpine now in Ohio

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Matilda seems to be quite sporty looking. Don't think I've seen an Alpine with the lengthwise "Tiger" stripe down the side.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Matilda seems to be quite sporty looking. Don't think I've seen an Alpine with the lengthwise "Tiger" stripe down the side.

In the years I did a lot of mods to Matilda that would send a purist crazy. Along with the stripes I replaced the grille with an earlier version (much nicer, I think, than the Series V one), my own home-made walnut dash with locking glove box. Then there's the stainless steel exhaust, the Weber carb, low brake fluid warning light, battery master switch and much more.

One of the greatest pieces of luck was finding someone with brand new bumpers, still in the factory wrap, for $300. That was one third of what it would have cost to replate my originals.

Gawd, I just looked at the photo of the dash. I took that before vacuuming the floor.