• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Electronic ignition -

CYoung

Donation Time
I have a 65 alpine and I am considering changing the distributor over to electonic ignition ( buy the whole distributor ) Any thoughts ?

Also - Do you know if there is a distributor cap that has "standard" push on plug wires ( as apposed to the type that you slip into the cap and then the screw pierces the wire) ??

RootesRacer

Donation Time
1) If your distributor is not worn and the internal mechanical advance parts also sloppy, it cost far less adding electronic ignition to a good dizzy than to buy one with the dizzy integrated.

2) yes, later year lucas caps are push on.

steven

Donation Time
I replaced the points with an electronic system a few years ago. Started ok the limited time it gets used. Finally had some tuneup problems with the webbers so sought expert advise. When I picked it up was told the dizzi was stuffed and only reason car was running was the electronic unit almost fixing the dwell problems. So I bought a new dizzi with electronics fitted from Rick for not much more than just buying the electronic unit.
Steven

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I replaced the points with an electronic system a few years ago. Started ok the limited time it gets used. Finally had some tuneup problems with the webbers so sought expert advise. When I picked it up was told the dizzi was stuffed and only reason car was running was the electronic unit almost fixing the dwell problems. So I bought a new dizzi with electronics fitted from Rick for not much more than just buying the electronic unit.
Steven

You may have been given a load of hooie.
Dwell is a relevant specification only for points ignition.
For electronic ignition, the effective dwell is much higher at low RPMs, and near the same as points at high RPMs.

There is NOTHING that electronic ignition can do to fix a messed up distributor.

You guys that are buying these "new" distributors happen to know what the curve looks like on them?
You do know they are designed for MGs, which is the primary consumer of them due to numbers right?

CYoung

Donation Time
Are you saying that the "newer" style electonic distributor will not work ok on the alpines ? ( I am new to this topic)

Thanks

Ragg Mopp

Donation Time
I recommend that anyone with a worn distributor send it to Advanced Distributors for a rebuild. If you want electronics, they can install a Pertronics and test it. This way you have the correct advance curve for a Sunbeam engine. If you have modded the engine they can make a new advance curve to fit your needs. And it is original and looks correct for the car.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Are you saying that the "newer" style electonic distributor will not work ok on the alpines ? ( I am new to this topic)

Thanks

No, what I am saying is the weights, springs and stops are designed for a specific timing curve. The alpine used several curves from 59 to 67, but the norm is 22 to 26 degrees advance at 3500 RPM.

The replacement distributor has a set of weights, springs and stops in it, my guess is that it approximates MGB requirements as this is the most common application.

The question is, what curve is in the new distributors and how far off is it from the alpine needs.

The iron head of the MGB should have a considerable difference in required max timing as compared to the aluminum head used on the alpine.

CYoung

Donation Time
I recommend that anyone with a worn distributor send it to Advanced Distributors for a rebuild. If you want electronics, they can install a Pertronics and test it. This way you have the correct advance curve for a Sunbeam engine. If you have modded the engine they can make a new advance curve to fit your needs. And it is original and looks correct for the car.

Do you have any information regarding "Advanced Distributors" so I can contact them.

THanks

Also - will I be able to use the "newer" style cap with my existing distributor ? ( with push on wires, insted of the old screw peircing type)

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not a big deal, but note that this discussion about changing to an electronic distributor is in the Factory Original section. It ought to be in the "Stock" Alpine section. The Factory Original section is for people trying to keep their Alpines as close as possible to "Factory Original". The "Stock" section is for situations like this, making minor mods.

Tom