• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

EFI Conversion/Intake Question

Rockonp04

Donation Time
My Dad and I are in the midst of a V6 conversion. We are currently researching EFI for the V6 2.8l. We are leaning toward the 2 barrel Holley Sniper EFI. This 2 barrel is more than plenty for the V6 since the hp range is good up to 350 hp which is more than plenty with our engine.

My question is about the intake manifold for the 2.8l. The EFI will need a 2 barrel to 4 barrel conversion plate since we have the offenhauser 4 barrel intake and the EFI is a 2 barrel. Is the original 2 barrel intake worth our time? I know the 74 intake was choked because of emissions but are there previous intakes which were less restrictive we could use in order to omit the conversion plate?

We have spent the money on a port and polish of the offenhauser but want to make sure we are not loosing any of the torque from an original intake manifold.

My dad has some experience with more torque with the original intake manifolds instead of aftermarket on his 68' Cal Special Mustang. He got more torque with the original intake which is what we ultimately want. I'm wondering if this is the case with this engine or should we abandon the original intake due to its restrictive nature.

The links below are what we are considering. Thoughts?

https://www.holley.com/products/fue...ion/sniper_efi/sniper_2300_2bbl/parts/550-849

https://www.holley.com/products/fue...s_and_spacers/adapters_and_spacers/parts/1933

https://www.holley.com/products/fue...mps/in-tank_retrofit_fuel_module/parts/12-131

Another question I have is about alternators. The alternator requirement is much higher in order to power the EFI. The alternator requirments are 95 amps. The alternator I have is in the link below. I need a 95 amp, 1-wire alternator which would fit the conversion. Any recommendations?

https://www.dbelectrical.com/produc...e=&network=g&gclid=CN7oy73d4NICFQMHaQoduPgLIw

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The Ofy 4 bbl Carb Intake sits rather high already for the 2.9 V6 in the Alpine, with the Holley 390 4 bbl on top and then add the breather, it is nearly touching the inside/underneath the hood.

If you use the Ofy 4bbl intake, add a spacer plate for adoption, then the EFI and breather I wonder if there is room/space?

However tempting the EFI with all the other gadgets, I find no fault in the Holley 390 4 Barrel Carb as a proven means of fuel delivery for our 2.8 V6 Alpines:)

If you decide to forgo the Ofy 4 bbl intake and would like to trade for a very nice aluminum 2 bbl intake let me know:)

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I would use the Ranger/Bronco 2/Aerostar 2 barrel intake. Would be really low if you use one aluminum 2 barrel spacer, countersunk to mount to intake. Sell the Offy and 390 Holley to help offset the cost of the Fuel Injection. Do a build on here, to show others how its done.

Attachments

• 2 barrel ranger.jpg
    2 barrel ranger.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 27

Rockonp04

Donation Time
This is a intake manifold we have and are considering using. The bolt pattern is off and wouldn't match up to the 2 barrel EFI. This was off a Cologne motor. What is the part number for the Ranger/Bronco 2 /Aerostar 2 barrel intake?

I fully intend to do a complete build on here.

Attachments

• IMG_0339.JPG
    IMG_0339.JPG
    338.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0342.JPG
    IMG_0342.JPG
    375 KB · Views: 32

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Same intake, stock plastic spacer. You would make a aluminum spacer. Junkyard, Rock Auto or auto parts store has the plastic spacer to copy.

Rockonp04

Donation Time
Nice. Great news. I think we will reuse this intake then. I'll get it cleaned up, ported, polished, and get a buddy of mine to fabricate a spacer.

Are there any issues with this manifold? Restrictive of choking?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
RockAuto doesn't list it. Junkyard maybe your best bet. I would just use one spacer countersunk for panhead allen bolts and washers to keep low as possible. Use gasket to mark holes. You can see the Ford part# in the countersunk picture.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
The Offy is taller and designed for a 4 barrel carb. I have experience comparing the Edelbrock 4 barrel intake for the 2.8 Chevy V6 with the factory 2 barrel intake adapted to the 350 Holley 2 barrel. I didn't notice any difference other than price. The 2 barrel intake was ported and gasket matched also. What cam are you planning to use? There have been a few interesting threads on them here lately.