• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ebay NO Pay

atallamcs

Donation Time
Does anyone know this fellow?

Buyer: michaelsalim64( 1 )

Shipping Address: Michael Salim
714 South Dearborn Suite No. 6
Chicago, IL 60605
United States
(312) 617-6400

Seems he has purchased a part from me and since I trust fellow Sunbeam people, I shipped but he does not pay or even return nice requests. Maybe he is out of the country, I don't know, but I am raising the caution flag!
Thanks

Bill

atallamcs

Donation Time
no pay

Yes! You are absolutely right. Also, the phone number does not have a voice mail box set up YET? Right!
Bill

atallamcs

Donation Time
No Pay

No not much at all. It is the principle and the fact that a rat slips in amongst a very tight group of good people. I will let EBAY do there thing--who knows, he might have a very good reason for not responding, to anything, even EBAY. That does on a personal level worry me a bit.
Bill

norville

Donation Time
I can relate, I just lost out on $1500 on a soft top and frame from of my past projects(non-sunbeam). This was on a forum of less than 50 active members. A fairly rare datsun patrol, the member in question was a regular contributor from Mn, active member, has several known vehicles and has met other members. I sent him the top in good faith, to look it over and make sure he was satisfied.. I've not heard from him in 3-4 months, emails, phone messages, other members He's alive but refuses to respond to me or log onto the forum....

Live and learn.

bob

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Bill,

A number of years ago, when I was first starting making kits, I used to send the parts immediately, trusting that the customer´s check would be good. A guy in Virginia ordered a kit and sent a personal check. I banked the check and sent the first part of the kit. The headers were going to be delayed, because my fabricator was a little bit behind; it was a good thing, as things turned out. As soon as the guy got the parts, he cancelled the check. I guess he thought the headers were on the way too, so could cheat me out of the money.

As soon as I received the letter from the bank, telling me that the check had bounced, I tried calling him at the Datsun dealership who´s name was on the letter head he´d sent me to order his kit on. The young lady told me that he no longer worked there, and didn´t have a forwarding address or phone number.

Since that time, I have to ask that the checks clear my bank before I ship parts. Unfortunately, everyone has to pay for the dishonest jerks in the world. I don´t know if this theif ever got his Alpine running, but he sure isn´t using my headers. I have been watching this board to see if he shows up, so I can expose him for what he is.

Jose

Jeff Howarth

Donation Time
ebay - did pay

Hi Bill,

Michael bought an item of mine on ebay at the weekend and has paid a day later no problem.
I have not dealt with him beforem but had no problem this time.
A low ebay rating if positive can just mean they are new.
Hopefully its just newness as I agree with everyone else, Sunbeamers are in my experience having sent parts all over the world, highly ethical.

regards

Jeff

65beam

Donation Time
no pay

in the world we live in today, it's best to keep info like this to yourself for awhile before telling the world and making a statement of this type.i was taught; if you don't have something good to say about someone don't say anything.

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
No Pay eBay

Bill:

Michael Salim bought two items from me this week and paid instantly for them. Maybe he did not receive your invoice. I would send it again and email him through eBay asking to acknowledge that he received it.

Rick

Nickodell

Donation Time
A word of warning about Stop Payments. People assume (as I did) that once you stop payment on a check, that's it. Not so. A Stop Payment is only effective for six months from the date of the request. If the check is presented before the six months has expired, the check will be returned "Stop Payment." But if it is presented or represented after the expiration of the 6-month Stop Payment, the check may be paid!

You can prevent this by creating a new Stop Payment for an additional six months after the expiration of the initial one. You can do this more than once.

You can also get caught by thinking that a Stop Payment takes effect immediately. In fact, it doesn't take effect for 24 hours after you place it. If the check is presented within this time frame the check will still clear your account.

serIIalpine

Donation Time
I only accept Paypal and even then I wait for it to actually be in my bank account because apparently the money can be taken back for several different reasons not to mention when Paypal figures out (often to late) that the card used to pay them has a hold on it or is later reported stolen.

Seller beware.

Eric

'62 SerII

atallamcs

Donation Time
Payment

Hi Rick,
Michael did finally pay. According to his very slow email responses, he had to set up his paypal account and then once that was done, he paid. I think this site, through our discussion, help him along the path of honesty when it comes to fellow sunbeamers.
Bill

RootesRooter

Donation Time
After 6 months, a check becomes "stale." It might still be paid since they don't really look carefully at most checks (e.g. banks rarely catch unsigned checks under $10,000), but you would have recourse against the bank.

A word of warning about Stop Payments. People assume (as I did) that once you stop payment on a check, that's it. Not so. A Stop Payment is only effective for six months from the date of the request. If the check is presented before the six months has expired, the check will be returned "Stop Payment." But if it is presented or represented after the expiration of the 6-month Stop Payment, the check may be paid!

You can prevent this by creating a new Stop Payment for an additional six months after the expiration of the initial one. You can do this more than once.

You can also get caught by thinking that a Stop Payment takes effect immediately. In fact, it doesn't take effect for 24 hours after you place it. If the check is presented within this time frame the check will still clear your account.

Jim E

Donation Time
I once got what I thought was a bad check from a board user for a small amount of money, do not recall the part. The bank charged me more than check was for because it bounced... so tried to contact the guy and got no responce. Posted a note that the board user sent me a bad check and folks should take that into account when dealing with the fellow. We found out a short time after I posted about the issue that it would take a spirit guide to deal with him going forward because he had died. I felt like such a shmuck

Nickodell

Donation Time
After 6 months, a check becomes "stale." It might still be paid since they don't really look carefully at most checks (e.g. banks rarely catch unsigned checks under $10,000), but you would have recourse against the bank.

Legal Topics> Finances> Banking> Consumer Banking
What Is a Stale Check?
Banking and commercial practices consider a check stale when it was written long ago and the person who it was written to never cashed it.

Will a Bank Honor a Stale Check I Wrote?
Unless you write on the check that it will not be valid after a certain number of days, banks may honor the check. Generally banks are not bound to honor checks written more than six months prior. In some states, if a bank is presented with a check older than six months, they will consult with the person who wrote the check. Certified checks, which are guaranteed by a financial institution, cannot go stale and will be honored at any time.

What Can I Do if My Bank Honored a Stale Check without My Permission?
Your bank is not responsible for any damage to you if they honor a stale check in good faith. If your bank did not act in good faith, an attorney may determine what remedies are available to you.

How Do I Know if My Bank Acted in "Good Faith?"
While there is no definitive definition of "good faith," there is some consensus as to what it means. Essentially, a bank acted in good faith if they did not notice the date of the check. However, if a bank employee notices the date of the check before cashing it, and does not consult you, courts will often determine the bank acted in bad faith. However, if the owner rightfully owed the amount of the check, there would be no loss even if the bank paid the check.

Important to Know: In many situations, a stop payment lasts only six months or a year. If you’re worried that the holder of your check will try to cash it much later, you’ll need to renew your stop payment order.