• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Early series generator

Limey

Donation Time
I have 2 generators. Both Lucas C40. My Rootes parts book only illustrates the type that has a narrowed end.

My original August 1963 LUCAS CAV parts book lists 2 correct versions:-
1) 'Generator - C40 22704A/D (22700)' When orderering quote part number in brackets'
2) 'Generator (alternative) C40-I 22700J'

Have I got one of each? see pics.

Apart from the shape was there an output difference? Was one for the export market?

View attachment 1537
''LUCAS
22700 0 12V
C40 42 70''

View attachment 1536
''LUCAS
22704A 10 61
C40 L 0 12V''

Thanks

Oliver

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Limey:

How are you posting your pictures? I can see none of them. Is anyone else having trouble seeing Limey's pics? It seems that I can see everyone elses just fine. Help!!!!

Limey

Donation Time
I see 'em.

I'm using Firefox 3.0.1.2 on W2K.

So am I but I can't see how that should make any diff? What do you know that I don't about firefox? What can I do to for my fellow viewers? Anybody. I just save them using the attachments button as above like everybody else??

Ta

Oliver

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Oliver, check out the link below to my webshots album. If you post all of your pictures into an album, not only will you be able to link to pictures, you're also making a running progress album on your restoration. You will never lose any pics plus they have the largest size slideshow option I've found. Any pictures that you post on the forum will eventually disappear over time as the post gets dated. All 3 of my albums are available for viewing at any time if you have any link. You can also link to them by either a single picture or by this;
http://rides.webshots.com/album/559570700OowlcE?vhost=rides
Both Sunbeam albums have over 8 thousand hits, so people are interested in pictures of Sunbeams. Jeff

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Limey
When I was a student, I had a job in summer 1976 in the Lucas B90 plant where exchange units were sent for dismantling and rebuilding. The two types were interchangeable, althoughg the waisted type is the older one. They work the same way except, as far as I recall, the waisted type has a smaller commutator and different brushes. The waisted version was obsolete even then, and the parts of any of this type that we got were sent for scrap. The unwaisted type the C40L (for Long) was the then current production version, and were rebuilt for sale through the Lucas parts network. We did starter motors and alternators as well.

Steve

Limey

Donation Time
Oliver, check out the link below to my webshots album.
Both Sunbeam albums have over 8 thousand hits, so people are interested in pictures of Sunbeams. Jeff

Hi Jeff that is a sound idea. I have some days holiday coming so I might just give it a go

Many thanks!

Oliver

Limey

Donation Time
Limey
When I was a student, I had a job in summer 1976 in the Lucas B90 plant where exchange units were sent for dismantling and rebuilding. The two types were interchangeable, althoughg the waisted type is the older one.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

Straight from the horses mouth!

So it seems I have the correct early type and the later replacement but not the 'Generator (alternative) C40-I 22700J' in the Lucas book of 1963.

Getting a step closer, thanks guys!

I have some B90 labelled parts> could have been made by you, who knows.

Cheers,

Oliver