• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Early Harrington LeMans for sale

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Saw in the latest Hemmings magazine (but not online) that an early HLM is for sale in Ohio. Stated to be second HLM made, and one of 7 promotional cars, and perhaps the Road and Track cover car. Per the archives, the second oldest HLM would be B9102829 or 2891, both from Alpine bodies built on 1/21/61. The R & T car is listed as B9104381, Alpine body built 4/4/61. States it is mostly complete, but would need restoration. Not sure if the seller is on this forum, perhaps they may pipe in. David

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
If you're looking for an HLM project, I'll sell you mine for 1/2 what he's asking. A 9113xxxODlrx color code #30 w/wire wheels, PM me if you'd like some pics.
Thanks
Jeff

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
David,
There is a lot more investigation that would need to be done before one could claim the ownership of a Promotional Harrington Le Mans and the "Road and Track cover car." The assertion that this is the "B9104381" promotional car needs serious examination. My longtime friend, Janne Iggbom (deceased), and the World's expert (1980-2022) on all things related to Sunbeam Harringtons would highly question the Hemmings's ad. Iggbom was the creator and sage for the Sunbeam Harrington archives and internet site (http://www.sunbeamharrington.org/). Iggbom did not recognize the said car as a promotional Harrington Le Mans or the cover car for Road and Track. If you or the owner could provide some key evidence I would be delighted to move forward to affirm the claim. Janne and I had extensive communications (via phone, internet and my personal visit to his home in Sweden) about all of the facets related to the promotional Harrington Le Mans automobiles. I own the April, 1962 Car and Driver cover car and Promotional (the only one we know of) Harrington Le Mans along with a production Harrington Le Mans. Presently my good friend Glenn Brackenridge (UK owner of a highly providenced Harington Le Mans Rally car) and I oversee the International Sunbeam Harrington Association site. I will add, before Iggbom's passing he believed he had good sleuthing evidence of the Road & Track cover car. It was located in a South Pacific country and had come from Los Angeles.

Note: There were only 6 promotional Harrington Le Mans models made. Three (3) export (LRX) and three(3) for the home market (HRO). In addition, there were five (5) previous home market Harrington Le Mans automobiles made before B9104381.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Jeff, send me the pictures and the intended price please.

Jerry, there must have also been 5 promotional cars for the Geneva Auto Show in '62. How do I know :
There are still people (friends) in Switzerland remembering this fact. Unfortunately Rootes forgot to put antifreeze into the cooling system and this left 4 cars out of 5 parked in open on a freezing night with cracked engine water channels. Only one engines survived, but the whole idea to let people test drive outside the fair failed...

Last edited:

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Jeff, send me the pictures and the intended price please.

Jerry, there must have also been 5 promotional cars for the Geneva Auto Show in '62. How do I know :
There are still people (friends) in Switzerland remembering this fact. Unfortunately Rootes forgot to put antifreeze into the cooling system and this left 4 cars out of 5 parked in open on a freezing night with cracked engine water channels. Only one engine survived, but the whole idea to let people test drive outside the fair failed...
I'll get you some pics tomorrow Bernd. Thanks for your interest.
Jeff

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Saw in the latest Hemmings magazine (but not online) that an early HLM is for sale in Ohio. Stated to be second HLM made, and one of 7 promotional cars, and perhaps the Road and Track cover car. Per the archives, the second oldest HLM would be B9102829 or 2891, both from Alpine bodies built on 1/21/61. The R & T car is listed as B9104381, Alpine body built 4/4/61. States it is mostly complete, but would need restoration. Not sure if the seller is on this forum, perhaps they may pipe in. David
I'm here in Dayton Ohio. Could you post where its located? And if there's a name & phone number? If it's close, I'll check it out.
Thanks
Jan

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have no clue who is selling the car in Ohio, although I know it is not Bob Webb. My purpose in posting about it was to encourage discussion, and allow those with much more knowledge than me to chime in on the assertions in the ad. If I am allowed to give a strangers phone number, it is 513-977-67six three. Email pluseight5300@gmail.com.
I previously had posted about another for sale which was claimed to be the first Harrington, but the community came through to determine it was likely an early car that later went to Harringtons for conversion. So now I am looking for one claiming to be the third.....

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have no clue who is selling the car in Ohio, although I know it is not Bob Webb. My purpose in posting about it was to encourage discussion, and allow those with much more knowledge than me to chime in on the assertions in the ad. If I am allowed to give a strangers phone number, it is 513-977-67six three. Email pluseight5300@gmail.com.
I previously had posted about another for sale which was claimed to be the first Harrington, but the community came through to determine it was likely an early car that later went to Harringtons for conversion. So now I am looking for one claiming to be the third.....
Keep your search going David. I looked (in the UK 2022) at the one claimed to be the first Sunbeam Harrington Alpine and VIN verified it to be an early Alpine model. Logic by many "experts" suggest this "1st" Harrington Alpine to be an early model return. There is an argument for that based on the VIN number. And there have "purportedly" been those that knew of such activity.

As to the Five HLMs sent to Geneva Bernd. According to the extensive archives Iggbom established there were only five Harrington Le Mans (all HRO - right hand drive) made before the 9104381 (LRX - left hand drive). Very difficult for me to believe that all five of these HROs (right hand drives) were sent to the Switzerland (driving is on the right-side) Geneva Auto show. However, the B9104665 may have been the survivor of your story. There were no further promotional Harrington Le Mans LRXs made after mine (the last one). B910466 appeared at the 1962 Sebring Race and the New York International Auto Show
. You can see my #43 Factory Works race car, a Sunbeam Alpine and various Rootes automobiles. I believe the Promotional Harrington Le Mans is blocked out by Alfa Romeo sign. I do have first person witnesses a husband and wife that were going to buy the PHLM. Great story that can be told at another time. It is also noted in the Car & Driver article, April, 1962.
Iggbom and myself believed that the Red Promotional Harrington Le Mans (Road & Track cover car June, 1962) was sent to the Los Angeles International Auto Show. It is now believed to be residing in a South Pacific country.

If we had Iggbom some better light may be shed.

Attachments

• 1700276305665.png
    1700276305665.png
    283.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Jerry, thanks for the extensive Info. When talking about 5 '62 Geneva cars at least 2 LRX survivors all built around Dec. 61 can surely be attributed to this event: B9109161 & B9109530. The first one previously owned/restored by a club mate was one actually suffering from a cracked/badly repaired original 1600cc engine. Nowadays running on a 1725cc. Still a few more HLM/Projects around in Switzerland. Will try to gather more info...

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
That's Regg Hahn <pluseight5300@gmail.com>, in Cincinnati. I know Regg and I know the Lemans car that he must be selling.
Jan
Agree Jan. I talked with Regg at the 2022 SUNI meet in Kansas City. I wasn't able to glean enough understanding to verify his view on this particular HLM. He did note that he wanted to sell it. The HLM he did present at SUNI was an impeccable restoration.
Jan, can you verify the VIN via VIN tag and cowling (firewall) VIN stamp for Series II Alpines?

Last edited:

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jerry, thanks for the extensive Info. When talking about 5 '62 Geneva cars at least 2 LRX survivors all built around Dec. 61 can surely be attributed to this event: B9109161 & B9109530. The first one previously owned/restored by a club mate was one actually suffering from a cracked/badly repaired original 1600cc engine. Nowadays running on a 1725cc. Still a few more HLM/Projects around in Switzerland. Will try to gather more info...
Bernd, all of the Geneva HLMs you write about would have been early "Production" cars. There are six different elements to the Promotional versus the Production HLMs. My B9107466 ODLRX was configured from a July 1961 built Alpine. The Road & Track was configured from an April 1961 built Alpine. The promotional HLMs came into production shortly after the Rootes Factory Works and Harrington Coach Factory configured the Thermal Index Efficiency awarded race car at Le Mans in June, 1961. Thus, the Harrington "Le Mans" name. The HLMs you listed were built from December 1961 Alpines when HLM production was already fully ramped up.
It seems to me Iggbom said the B9107465 (also Moonstone code 19 like mine) was in Switzerland.

Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
A pity that Jan Iggbom isn't with us anymore, but I understand the difference between early "promotional" and early "production" cars. Nevertheless and appearantly Rootes started to promote the HLM in Europe from this very Geneva Show. Interesting hint about that belgian car. There is another moonstone one ( with later added blue racing stripes) which was exhibited at Geneva back in the day. Searched it in the registry, but appearantly not listed anymore. My dream car from 35 years back, but was always too expensive for me ;-)

Last edited:

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
Looking in the registry I recall discussing this car (B9104381) with Jerry when we collated all the info recovered from Jan. The best clues are the build dates and also the VIN sequences as Jerry mentions. For info the car B9104381 is listed in the registry as the R&T car and a potential show car from LA in Nov 61 but ! welcome better clarification and correction should it become available. GB

Rhahn

Donation Time
The serial number for this SHL, taken off the firewall is B9106874ODLRX. According to an extensive discussion with Jerry Logan after I purchased the SHL, it has the following items that make it an early promo/preproduction vehicle. It has the pleatless rear seat cushions, the two piece rear side panels, non aluminum threshold covers as well as the delete of the Harrington glovebox insignia. The side trim arrows are cast and not extruded and the rear vents behind rear side window have no aluminum trim. This is information that I recall and compared to a CD that Jerry sent to me. Hope this clears up some questions. Reg

Rhahn

Donation Time
This goes back about 6/7 years. The individual that I purchased the SHL from was Norm Mort. Norm was the Automotive Journalist for a Toronto newspaper. Norm wrote a number of articles about this car (I have copies of the articles). The rebuilt engine and OD transmission are from a pre production SHL that was destroyed by fire in the 80’s. I also have the title and nomenclature for that car. Let me know if you know of anyone that may be interested. Reg

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Reg.

From your statement I believe that is why Janne Iggbom believed yours to be a Canadian Demo (promotional) SLH/HLM (as per noted in the Le Mans Part1 registry https://www.sunbeamalpineowners.club/Harrington/registries_hlm_1.html#!

After I got my HLM I became aware of the burnt HLM in the mid-west (It came from Canada and was blue code 53). I negotiated to purchase the remains along with the engine, but, the $2000+ price tag was too much. Small World.

I will provide anyone info about the Harrington Le mans marque and your wish to sale.

It would be great to have copies of Norm's articles.