• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Early hardtop headliner search

daiseng

Platinum Level Sponsor
Did anyone ever find a match for the early hardtop headliner fabric? Trying to restore the one on my SII. This is all that‘s left.
IMG_6689.jpg

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
That’s the basketweave pattern; I didn’t know the SII hardtops included a basketweave headliners (I find that pattern on the Lemans). SI hardtops typical had the white perforated material very similarly used on a lot of Ford products of that era
Jan

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
It's a ringer for the VW convertible stuff. I believe Acme in Long Beach California is the manufacturer. I have a bolt of a similar fabric it's just a tad more grey.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
That’s the basketweave pattern; I didn’t know the SII hardtops included a basketweave headliners (I find that pattern on the Lemans)...
Interesting find ! Completely new to me too that S1 & S2 hardtop headliners used different patterns. I'm still looking to find the "basketweave" pattern for my ongoing late HLM project...

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Interesting find ! Completely new to me too that S1 & S2 hardtop headliners used different patterns. I'm still looking to find the "basketwave" pattern for my ongoing late HLM project...
I think my hardtop has the same headliner but I had assumed it was incorrect .

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Sorry I meant the later stuff was the pinpoint material.
Acme is probably a good place to ask..Most of the dedicated upholstery shops that sell specialized materials are long gone.. Unless you can find another popular vehicle with that material ..

daiseng

Platinum Level Sponsor
That’s the basketweave pattern; I didn’t know the SII hardtops included a basketweave headliners (I find that pattern on the Lemans). SI hardtops typical had the white perforated material very similarly used on a lot of Ford products of that era
Jan
Disclaimer: The hardtop I have is not original to my SII and I don’t know its history, so it may be off a SI or SII.
I’m no expert and only have photos to go by, but most of the early unrestored hardtops I’ve seen had the basket weave headliners. There’s one on ebay right now. If you zoom in on the photos, you can make out the basket weave or what’s left of it.
It would be great if any original owners of an unrestored hardtop could confirm and post photos.
I purchased the headliner (perforated) from Rick to use as a pattern or to install if I can’t find any basket weave.
This one looks close if you squint. I’ll see if I can get a sample.

daiseng

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here is the sample I received from GAHH Automotive.
IMG_0251.jpeg
Top is the headliner from Sunbeam Specialties.
Middle is the remnants I pulled from my hardtop.
Bottom is the sample of “#50 Parchment”

The “weave” has a softer look, but I think the color is spot on. There is also a subtle aged finish which should pair nicely with my not so subtly aged looking SII.