• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Early alpine rear shock conversion pics

dlivi

Silver Level Sponsor
Does anyone have a few pictures of Dan's conversion kit installed? I purchase awhile ago and looking to install in the next few weeks.
Thanks as always!

DaveSeries1

Silver Level Sponsor
I put a set on over the winter. Easy job fits great. Not a great picture.

Attachments

• 20230118_164854.jpg
    20230118_164854.jpg
    941.4 KB · Views: 58

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Interesting. The MGB conversion swaps the u bolt plates and turns them around so the shocks slant forward.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Interesting. The MGB conversion swaps the u bolt plates and turns them around so the shocks slant forward.
I think Dans kit iirc use the original lever arm mounts for the shocks top location.. hence why it would lean back.

When I did my own conversion I made brackets that went under the rear deck. Vertical Above the bottom mount and leaning slightly inward at the top.. but also required using shorter shocks as the early cars don't have the fly tower they designed for s3 on to give room for longer shocks

Charles Myers

Silver Level Sponsor
Does anyone have a few pictures of Dan's conversion kit installed? I purchase awhile ago and looking to install in the next few weeks.
Thanks as always!
I just did the install last week...you really don't need pictures, its obvious where things goes. Be sure the shocks you buy are double loop with 5/8 loops. I think mine were for a Dodge colt...basically 9 inch collapsed to 16 ish expanded. All the best
Charles

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
63-82 Corvette rear shocks are the ones you need. Dodge Colt are close though, as they are what the MGB conversion uses.

dlivi

Silver Level Sponsor
Ok looks like my rear axel is from a later car just like the engine and OD…so given I have the lower shock mounts already on axel….think I can use the upper conversion brackets, mount to ones on axel and walk away? Seems to easy…learning about the car as I go!

Attachments

• 3A88581C-EC4B-40E2-BB8C-B6828DAF3642.jpeg
    3A88581C-EC4B-40E2-BB8C-B6828DAF3642.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • 31FA72EF-0668-4F53-BCA7-D2E01699B9BC.jpeg
    31FA72EF-0668-4F53-BCA7-D2E01699B9BC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • 7EBAA11C-EC5F-421C-A0BB-BFF8D456ED1A.jpeg
    7EBAA11C-EC5F-421C-A0BB-BFF8D456ED1A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • 40D04450-0A31-4600-97E8-0685767946DA.jpeg
    40D04450-0A31-4600-97E8-0685767946DA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ok looks like my rear axel is from a later car just like the engine and OD…so given I have the lower shock mounts already on axel….think I can use the upper conversion brackets, mount to ones on axel and walk away? Seems to easy…learning about the car as I go!

IMO, the late Series Alpine lower shock mount shown in your fourth picture is not suitable for a shock that is mounted in a "leaned back" position. For a shock that leans appreciably backward (or forward) the lower mounting stud should be parallel to the rear axle.

Last edited:

dlivi

Silver Level Sponsor
thank you makes sense. in the first picture the two unused holes close together would be for?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
thank you makes sense. in the first picture the two unused holes close together would be for?

If you are referring to the two holes circled in red in this picture,

3A88581C-EC4B-40E2-BB8C-B6828DAF3642.jpeg

I do not know. My S-V does not have those holes (or the lever shock mounting holes) and I cannot find anything in WSM-124 that relates to those holes. Maybe my imagination, but the "plate" does not seem to have the same appearance as the surrounding sheet metal. Possibly something done by a previous owner ???

Last edited:

dlivi

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for your response! I was just wondering if that was an upper shock mount or something but I am on my way putting the kit that Dan sent me so we will see how it goes. thanks again