• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Early 2.8 block vs truck 2.8 block

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Is there any difference in the size of the main bearings between the Mustang II block and the Ranger block. Looking up part numbers at various auto parts places, a different part number is used for the auto block than the truck block. The truck block mains have the same part number as the 2.9 block. Is the only difference in that the early blocks used thrust washers and the later used flanged bearings or does this mean that if I want to do the 2.9 crank conversion that I need the truck block instead of the Mustang block?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

The only two differences between the two blocks, are the size of the cam bearing journals, and the use of thrust washers in the early 2.8's. You can use the 2.9 crank in the early block, without any problems. You will need to use the thrust washers with the early block though.

Jose :)

Is there any difference in the size of the main bearings between the Mustang II block and the Ranger block. Looking up part numbers at various auto parts places, a different part number is used for the auto block than the truck block. The truck block mains have the same part number as the 2.9 block. Is the only difference in that the early blocks used thrust washers and the later used flanged bearings or does this mean that if I want to do the 2.9 crank conversion that I need the truck block instead of the Mustang block?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Jose,

Now can you help me find the casting numbers. An article I've found says it's on the left side, can't find it. All I can find is a big "E" next to the distributor and "12M" below it. I'd like to be sure which block I have.

Thanks
Mike