• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

E brake handle help

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
It should be a combination of ensuring the brake shoes are adjusted to allow the drums to rotate with just a bit of resistance and then adjusting the parking brake cable tension using the adjuster at the right rear wheel.

upload_2021-7-13_18-6-29.png

Mike

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks to all. I think I’ve got it now. The bolt attachment structures - the two cylinders that are supposed to be fixed to the rail - are not and do move in and out of the rail. I’ll have to play with ways to secure them to the rail which should stabilize everything. Fortunately it all works now, it’s just sloppy.

Interesting(?) that Sunbeam chose to put the handle on the outside where it can be stressed by drivers banging, bending and stressing it on their way over it to get out. I’ve only seen this setup on Porsche 914’s before this.
You are right, after a year or two Porsche changed it so the handle would drop down after engaging it.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
adjusting the parking brake cable tension

Mike, From the picure you posted, there is not much adjustment left on you cable.

You might consider cutting or having cut about 3/4 to 1" from the very end of the cable where the swedged end is utilized to "hold" the adjuster in place.

On my Rear Disc Kit I shorten the cable enough to allow adjustment with a new end swaged at the end of the cable.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,

Thanks for the feedback. Rixter made the same observation to me a bit ago through email. What is the process for swaging a new end onto the cable? Any special tool(s)?

Thanks,
Mike

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I found an Aircraft Mechanic at the local airport (Greenwood, SC) that will shorten the cable (s) for me $10 each.

He wraps the end of the cable with a tape at the point you want it cut to keep the wire from unravelling and swages a new end piece.

Have pictures some place ?? Will send when I can find them.