• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

E-Bay Question and Answer

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
E-Bay is fun:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=300212016814&rd=1

Apr-04-08

Q: In my experience, Sunbeam Alpine series I cars utilized a different type of spare tire strap assembly than the type depicted in your series II ad. An Alpine series I car that I recently disassembled, specifically VIN B9006258 did not use a metal hook at the false floor bracket location- rather, the strap fabric was actually riveted to the bracket and the strap was tightened with the buckle mechanism. Writer currently has a series I spare tire strap asy. with some deteriorated / missing upper strap section listed on an eBay ad ending April 6, 2008. (see photos) Another series I car, also recently disassembled by writer had only the spare tire strap bracket intact on the trunk false floor. (B9004208) The Sunbeam Alpine Parts List, Rootes Publication No. 6600992 has an illustration of the series I-II spare tire strap asy.(PLATE E SECTION YV) although the detail is ambiguous pertaining to the strap (hook) end, LISTING both types of strap end, with no breakdown by VIN. Mark Sorsdahl

A: Mark, Yes, what you said! I advertised this as a Series II Strap as I was uncertain when they made the change. Rootes seemed to make changes whenever they felt like it or ran out of parts. Those dirty little monkeys working in the factory floor also made those decisions for the top brass while they smoked their pipes and drank fine whiskey in the big office. Who would want to be bothered by some dirty little tar covered factory punk asking about trunk straps while you planned a night out in Coventry, England. Can you imagine the sight! The floor manager appears at the office door, asking about trunk straps for spare tires. He babbles about changing the way the strap anchors to the trunk floor. Says he can use some parts he found locally and shows them the part we now know as the “Series II Floor Anchorâ€. One of the executive that is half looped yells at the little guy as cigar smoke pours from his mouth, “you think that god da!# spare is going anywhereâ€. After being humiliated by just about everyone in the room, one of the executive assistants tells him to just take care of it. The man turns and walks away down the long hallway, a small piece of scarlet red vinyl stuck to the bottom of his shoe, dragging like a modern day toilet paper comedy scene. As he pulls his handkerchief from his pocket to blow the factory dust from his nose, an VIN Tag rivet falls to the floor and chimes as it bounces along the cement floor. He looks, then moves on realizing the insignificance of the loss. He has no idea.

JonPiz

Donation Time
Well you asked for a reply!!

By the way, I have worked in Coventry and I wouldnt recommend a night out there.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Jon, That was my answer! :)
That's interesting about Coventry. I had no idea, just made it up as I went. Is it really industrial there? Seedy?

Paul

Well you asked for a reply!!

By the way, I have worked in Coventry and I wouldnt recommend a night out there.

RootesRich

Donation Time
Paul, if I win your auction will the peppers be included in the winning bid? I'm making fajitas for dinner and it would save me a trip to the store. :D

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
I like the look of the peppers and the color contrast-I got tired of seeing those oranges another seller always uses...............Eric

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Eric,
I got the idea for the Orange guy! :D Yes, trying to add some pizazz to the listings!
Next up..............Bananas!

I like the look of the peppers and the color contrast-I got tired of seeing those oranges another seller always uses...............Eric

JonPiz

Donation Time
Jon, That was my answer! :)
That's interesting about Coventry. I had no idea, just made it up as I went. Is it really industrial there? Seedy?

Paul

Well in the UK there is a phrase "being sent to Coventry" which means nobody will talk to you. Its also about 20 miles from where Ozzie Osbourne was brought up so maybe that also tells you something.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
...I got the idea for the Orange guy...
Oh, so Paul isn't a vegetarian then? I thought he was showing off and saying, "..I'm a vegetarian".:D
82d1_1.JPG

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

I think this is the fourth time Paul has had the hold down strap for an early Alpine for sale on eBay. I have bid on all the others and lost. I guess I will try again. Like he said I havn't lost my spare yet, BUT, it would be nice to have.

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

I DID GET IT!!! In the past, these went for really high prices. In light of that I guess 20 dollars is not bad. One more piece to make my car correct.