• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Duratec 2.5 with a D'Tec Ranger 2.3 head

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Won't work! At least for me. Valve/Piston clearance issue. I decided on this combo because I liked the low rpm grunt of the original 2.3 Ranger. Everything I read said this was a simple bolt on, even found a thread that gave instructions, including where to drill through the Ranger head for the dip stick. Even today I see threads saying it is a doable, simple swap. Just finished reading a thread about a truck that had 1500 miles on such a swap, no issues! But when I set the engine on TDC, I can't time the valves due to piston interference. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Sure don't want to pull that baby (out the bottom, including the tranny) to swap heads. But that should keep me busy at least until the Holidays are over.
Bill
Well, we made it back to Connersville in one piece, but barely. We were concerned about the Carter side draft which had started leaking fuel out of the mouth of the carb. We coerced Allan to allow us to tag along behind him. The Carter did its thing, averaging close to 30 mgp for the trip. BUT, the starter refused to respond to the ignition switch's command to "Start" after our final fill up. I discovered that when I jumped across the solenoid terminals, the starter would run, but was negligent when it came to engaging the starter pinion with the flywheel ring gear. It took about 20 tries, but it finally caught, the engine started and we completed the final leg (about 60 miles) with a full tank.

The '69 drew considerable interest and we won the "Rare Rootes" class. Who knows, the next time we might even
wash the car prior to the show. I would like to thank all the wonderful Sunbeamers who inquired about the fate of the '69 and the state Orange Alpine. I think Ian would be proud to see all the good vibes expressed about these two Alpines by a very large group of hard core Tiger guys.

I have a very large problem with the '69. Transmission oil leakage. I topped off the tranny oil just prior to starting the trip. 500 miles later, it is almost impossible to shift when the car is not under power. Quite often, I just had to shift, hoping that I engage a useful gear. Once, while looking for 3rd, we ended up in 2nd because it was the only one I could find, but I had no idea which one it was. The shifter became so stiff and I had stirred the shifter around so much, that was all I could find. And was I ever surprised, as 2nd and 3rd have very little in common.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here I am, at the computer and not spinning wrenches. Was sick yesterday. Fever and out of my mind. That really bothers Barb. Two of thos fever/out mind episodes resulted in multiweek stays in hospitals and coma. She says she almost killed me twice, I say she saved my life twice. But anyway, we got through the latest fever. Today, I feel good, but very, very tired. Typing wears me out.

Bill

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Might want to get Barb to have you checked out, glad you made it home at least! Time to get the OD tranny put in if yours is questionable And a carb from Bob Webb.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
We'd better get Barb checked out first. She sees her doctor every 3-4 months. We both had covid over the 4th '22. Not seriously sick, mostly exhausted. Barb has never fully recovered. Her normal state is "exhausted". Comes down with whatever is going around about every two weeks. I say she has long Covid. Problem: there is no treatment. I do know that if she does not improve, we will never attend another Sunbeam gathering. This trip was very hard on her. Especially the part about getting ready

The future of Judy lies in the hands of our sons. If they want to install the Volvo with OD tranny, great. I'll help them get it done. If they do not, I think it is time to pare the herd.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
After a solid week of coughing my head off, it appears I am back! Yesterday, managed to get the Carter removed and disassembled. The accelerator pump diaphragm appeared to be in immaculate condition. However, the 1" square casting that holds it against the carb body was warped. A somewhat lengthy session of 1000 grade wet or dry sandpaper and a flat granite stone flattened it right up. Proper words escape me, so please excuse my vague description. Anyway, I think the flooding problem was found and fixed. I am getting excited about this carb. It promises 30 mpg ( better than the CD 150 and more power). Just need to be sure to fix it. Mr. Carter was surely a genius. Who else could design a precision carburetor out of cheap parts, did not have to be designed for a specific application and could be assembled by the cleaning lady on the night shift?

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
It seems the accelerator pump was only stage one of the problem. After much ginning around with pressure regulators, gauges and bowl fuel level, the main culprit was too damn much fuel in the carb! Don't know what the current level is, but it seems to be below the bowl vent, wherever/whatever that is. I suppose the next step is to remove the pressure regulator to see if it is necessary. Right now, I've got more important issues. The air filter housing fell apart, but all pieces of it were saved. Need to rebuild it in a more muscular fashion. Just noticed the alternator seems to have issues. The idiot glows at all times. By glows, I mean just that never goes out and never is bright. Ground issue? Got to warn you, this is not the OE alternator. It came apart a few months ago and got replaced with an aftermarket, look alike two wire unit.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hmm. the thread seems to have tranmorgified over to the '69. Well, to put a lid on that issue, the alternator light seem to be working, but strangely. Last night, it was on brightly when the turn key on. Off when the engine started, Dim after the engine ran a few minutes. The carb seems to be working perfectly with the pressure regulator set on "2". The starter issue was tracked down. The ignition "Start" wire had fallen off it's solenoid terminal.
Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Meanwhile, back in the basement, the Duratec mystery deepened. To make a very long story short, something is stopping the crankshaft from rotating 360 degrees. Goes about 340 degrees, either direction, then stops with an audible "thunk". The noise is actually very much a "thunk". The stop is sudden and very solid. When I say the crankshaft, I have to include the flywheel and torque convertor. I have loosened the camshaft bearing covers to the point the valves are never lifted. In addition, I loosened the harmonic balancer so the crankshaft cam sprocket does not rotate with the crank. Cannot conceive of how (or why) the crankshaft should suddenly stop. So in a nutshell, this is just what I've been wanting, a couple of days laying on my back, spinning wrenches. Just hoping the problem is fixable in the crankcase and does not involve the transmission.
Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
After reducing the 2.5 to essentially a bare block, I found the problem. Broken exhaust valves. All eight of them. Probably broken on the initial starter run. One was scrunched into the head hard enough to ruin a valve seat and probably junk the head as the gash is pretty deep. So the 2.5 head will be reinstalled, equiped with the 2.3 intake cam. and 2.3 valve cover. The VVT actuator will but cut in two and bolted in place in order to "work" with the 2.3 valve cover. I have to use the 2.3 valve cover in order to clear the intake manifold. If the intake manifold is raised, I'll need a hood scoop. Do to oiling issues (which I do not totally understand, its been way too long), I will have to use the 2.5 chaincover. That means it will have to be trimmed in order to clear the serpentine belt as it meanders around the front of the engine in its new, but essential, path. Will have to use the 2.5 harmonic balancer (huge) and hope it clears everything. Oh the fun we have while stuffing 10 pounds of mud into a 5 pound sack.
Bill