• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dummy voltage regulator question

T.Jack

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hello all,
I am in the process of rewiring my Series 1 with an new (but older version of) Rebel harness. I've read where some people are putting a 50amp fuse on the main battery wire (as I recall reading). I recently saw someones car that had the fuse built into this dummy voltage regulator. I was curious if anyone else had any experience with them. I should say, I am converting the car to an alternator. It's pricy, but I know I can buy a similar fuse thats like a circuit breaker and just trips if overloaded. Just curious what you guys thought…

Thank you in advance!!

Todd

Attachments

• IMG_0434.JPG
    IMG_0434.JPG
    364.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0435.JPG
    IMG_0435.JPG
    619 KB · Views: 41

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hello all,
I am in the process of rewiring my Series 1 with an new (but older version of) Rebel harness. I've read where some people are putting a 50amp fuse on the main battery wire (as I recall reading). I recently saw someones car that had the fuse built into this dummy voltage regulator. I was curious if anyone else had any experience with them. I should say, I am converting the car to an alternator. It's pricy, but I know I can buy a similar fuse thats like a circuit breaker and just trips if overloaded. Just curious what you guys thought…

Thank you in advance!!

Todd

I suspect that you are referring to a 350 amp fuse in the battery cable. "... a 50amp fuse on the main battery wire ..." would almost certainly blow when the starter motor was engaged. To provide optimal protection, a fuse in the battery cable should be located as close as possible to the battery terminal; locating it in the engine compartment provides no protection against shorts to ground between the battery and the engine compartment.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Hello all,

Thank you in advance!!

Todd
The dummy regulator assumes that you will still power the vehicle from its original flow path through the regulator.

The purpose of the fuse/breaker in the dummy regulator is to provide protection between the battery and the A and A1 terminals which are the lights and the original fuse panel. It would be in series with the other fuses in the fuse panel so it has to be higher blow current than the others (2 for a stock panel).
Its not a bad idea but not explicitly needed though.

T.Jack

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thank you both for replying. I’m new to wiring (as I’m sure you’ve gathered). And thank you RootsRacer for explaining wiring/purpose of the dummy regulator

loose_electron

Donation Time
350A fuse in line with the battery. PLACED NEAR THE BATTERY

About 50A (YMMV) fuse in the wire that connects from the always hot side of the starter solenoid and goes to the ignition switch. This is the power for the entire car except for the starter. This fuse should be near the starter solenoid.

With those 2 fuses in place you should never have an electrical fire.