• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Drive Shaft Length

Alpine James

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi all,

I changed out the transmission in my SV to an OD but it mates up with an older Capri rear end so the regular drive shaft is to long, and the OD driveshaft is to short, and doesn't match the bolt pattern. So my plan is the get the non-OD shaft shortened.

Question is, How much play should there be in the overall length? If I insert the transmission end in, the space between the rear end and DS flanges.

Thanks, James

gordonra

Donation Time
Hi James.

When I had my custom shaft made for the v6, the drive shaft shop told me exactly how to measure it. I'd check with the shop that will be doing the work to get their recommendation. That way, perhaps they will take some ownership if there is a problem.

Just my two cents.

Rich