• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

DOT 5 clutch hydraulics

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm rebuilding the clutch master and slave cylinders (and flushing the pipe) Is it a good idea to use the silicone fluid in the clutch ? Also I purchased the rebuild kits from SS What's the grease for?(master kit) Anyone got any ideas about a slave push rod mine is a little rough and pitted(even after taking a little emery cloth to it(its right where the rod passes through the rubber cap)?

Thanks for the help,

Tom J

mikephillips

Donation Time
Opinions are divided on silicon fluid, some swear by it, others have have had problems. I read an article one that claimed the differences people saw was due to two different blends for the rubber in the seals that is used. One reacts to the additives in the silicon, the other doesn't. Is this true?? I don't know but it would explain why it fails in some cases and not others.

The grease is for initial lubrication of the seals, just a real light coat, and to pack the end of the master to try to keep moisture out.

As for the slave rod, being pitted shouldn't hurt unless they go so deep as to weaken the rod and could cause it to bend.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Mike , I think I'll stick with the Castrol LMA, just in case I've got reactive rubber:D

Tom J