• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Door window

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
While replacing the dove tail on the drivers door and trying to get the screw holes to line up I removed the trim panel and thought while I had the panel off it would be a good idea to put some lube on the window winding mechanism, well I must have lubed it to death as now the window comes out of the front channel when it's wound down(winding down actually) I noticed in the rear channel it's just a metal U no weatherstripping...is that the problem ? Also as far as getting the door to close do I just keep fiddling around with the latch position until it works ?

Thanks for your comments, Tom J

I'll get this vehicle back on the road if it's the next to the last thing I ever do !

Ever challenging Series V

alpinegt

Donation Time
window

The window should have glazing at the bottom where it fits into the regulator. This holds it in place when you roll the window down.

Russ

mikephillips

Donation Time
The thing that the lining in the door channels does is stop rattling sounds from the glass vibrating against the metal channel. It doesn't affect keeping the window in the door channels or in the window winder channel at the bottom. If it's coming out of one or the other then either the door channels are loose, or one of the mounts possibly broken, or the glass glazing strip may have broken down. If that's the case the best option may be to have the window reset in it's winding channel with new glazing rubber.

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
I noticed in the rear channel it's just a metal U no weatherstripping...is that the problem ? Also as far as getting the door to close do I just keep fiddling around with the latch position until it works ?
Thanks for your comments, Tom J

These were the questions I was answering.
Without weatherstripping and proper channel adjustment, you will have problems with the operation of the window.

Wombat

Donation Time
Maybe the missing felt is letting the window move back far enough that it falls out of the front chanel?? When I did the windows on my Series IV, I replaced the font wearherstrip inserts (U shaped metal with fuzzy stuff inside them) and glued new felt in the rear.

Adjustment is fun, you need to adjust the bottoms of the chanels in or out so the quarter window lines up with the seals on the screen post, and move the back channel forward so that the window doesn't fall out of the front chanel, but not so far forward to make it sieze up.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
The front pillar is channel material and felt, the rear is only felt so does not play a big part in demension but for smooth operation a must. The rear channel may need a bit of adjustment along with new felt. You do have a little bit of front to back play on one of the screws inside the panel. As the other guys said, the bottom channel need to have a death grip for proper operation.

P

While replacing the dove tail on the drivers door and trying to get the screw holes to line up I removed the trim panel and thought while I had the panel off it would be a good idea to put some lube on the window winding mechanism, well I must have lubed it to death as now the window comes out of the front channel when it's wound down(winding down actually) I noticed in the rear channel it's just a metal U no weatherstripping...is that the problem ? Also as far as getting the door to close do I just keep fiddling around with the latch position until it works ?

Ever challenging Series V

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
I found while if I hold my finger on the back edge of the glass (to keep the window pushed forward) I can wind it up and down with no problem(not comming out of front channel). The glass seems to be tight in the bottom holder so I think that part is ok, but when I start to wind it down without my finger holding it forward it jumps back and comes out in front.:confused: Are the standard sources the best place to get the window felts?

Thanks again, Tom J

Ever Challenging Series V

Go Colts !!

Wombat

Donation Time
Tom

I got mine from SS (via our local supplier). Sounds like you need felt in the rear channel and to adjust the channel forward a little. If you decide to do the font channels as well, be careful undoing the two screws that hold the bottom of the front channel. Use penetrating oil and loosen both of them before removing one. I didn't, and when I tried to remove the second one, the channel turned with the screw and put a ding in the door skin!!:eek:

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for the heads up Robert. Lately I've been trying to do only what has to be done as I've gotten myself in a fix the last couple times I've done a little "extra".. Guess that's what keeps these cars so fascinating..

Tom J

Ever Challenging Series V

BERNARD ROSE

Donation Time
I am a newby to the Sunbeam scene, and I am in the process of buying a 1961 Series II. While examining the car I notice that when winding both windows up or down it is very hard, to the point I was afraid to break the handle. Is this simply a case of lubrication, or do I need to plan on a bigger project.
Over the last 15 years, I have owned and worked on an MGB, a TR8, and currently still have a '91 Lotus Elan M100, so I know that these cars can be temperamental, but they can be a great source of enjoyment and satisfaction.
The car belongs to a good friend who rebuilt it in the mid '70's, and he needs the space, and I have always coveted the car.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Welcome to the Club, Bernard!

I am not an expert on windows; to date, I have removed far more than I have reinstalled. Reinstallation is coming, so I may yet become an expert. Others here will probably weigh in, but I can think of several things that could create the problems you are seeing. Your best bet is to remove the door panels, very easy to do, and roll them up and down and see if they are binding anywhere. If so, it should be easy to adjust the tracks. If not, the problem may just be that the grease in the window mechanism has turned to glue. If so, carefully cleaning them and re-greasing may solve your problem.

BERNARD ROSE

Donation Time
Welcome to the Club, Bernard!

I am not an expert on windows; to date, I have removed far more than I have reinstalled. Reinstallation is coming, so I may yet become an expert. Others here will probably weigh in, but I can think of several things that could create the problems you are seeing. Your best bet is to remove the door panels, very easy to do, and roll them up and down and see if they are binding anywhere. If so, it should be easy to adjust the tracks. If not, the problem may just be that the grease in the window mechanism has turned to glue. If so, carefully cleaning them and re-greasing may solve your problem.
That's what I am hoping...first I have to buy the car. The owner is currently on vacation and will be back the week of the 23rd. By then, most of the snow should be gone, and I can actually try it out. I am confident that everything will work out, and I can be another happy Alpine owner.

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
The Sunbeam window winders are famous for having issues. When lubrication fails or the weatherstrips age, more stress is placed on the gear in the winder and these can get stripped. There is decent information on door operation and issues at http://teae.org/alpinetiger-doors-the-inside-story/ I have found the one in the Alpine Guide to be even better, but I can't locate a link to it at this moment.
Rick

BERNARD ROSE

Donation Time
Rick,
Thank you very much for the quick response. This article is for a later car with a quarter window, but I'm sure that a lot of the information will apply. I will not have access to the car for a few weeks, so this gives me time to look for ways to resolve the problem and this is a good start...if you can find that link in the Alpine Guide, it would be very much appreciated.
Bernie

65beam

Donation Time
Repair kits for the window regulators are available from Sunbeam Specialties. Part #DP64.

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Bernie,
Oh how my memory has diminished. I dug out the Alpine Guide information on this and it is the very article from the Alpine Horn that is referenced (and credited) in the TEAE site. The Alpine Guide is a handy SAOC (British) compilation of Alpine Horn articles, arranged in lettered chapters as the WSM. Sorry for the confusion.

In my case, I have a series 5 and the winder mechanism on the driver door was a mess of rusted and stripped parts along with missing channel liners. I found a pair of nice condition winders on eBay cheap and redid everything replaceable in the rubber parts. I had to fabricate a upper limit window stop. There are many adjustments on the S5 windows. This is a double-edged sword as this means there are more things that could get out of adjustment too. So it is a fiddle thing.
Rick

Billm

Gold Level Sponsor
I finished my two doors yesterday. New channels, weatherstripping, cleaning and lubricatting the winder mechanism new seals on the top of the door. My passenger door glass was loose in the track it fits into. When I took it apart the channel fell off the window. I bought the parts from S. S. Took my time Andy every thing works well. The rear channel has the fabric that I glued I with weatherstripping glue. Clampedthe felt in place with small binder clips. I was surprised to see the rubber strip that you coat with oil and push the rubber strip and glass into the channel works well. I used a heat gun to soften up the drivers side channel to remove the glass, didn't break the glass! Used a small screwdriver to work the glass out. Did one door at a time. Now for the new door cards.

BERNARD ROSE

Donation Time
Repair kits for the window regulators are available from Sunbeam Specialties. Part #DP64.
Thank you for the info. This car is a '61, but I will contact SS and get their input. I will not have the car until the week of the 23rd, so I need to see what I have when I take the door panels off.
Bernie