• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

door skin sound deadening

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Pulled my door panels off today in order to replace with new vinyl. Found the asphalt impregnated sound deadening material that should be attached to the door skin had fallen away and had crumpled at the bottom of the door cavity.
What are you using as a replacement material ?
Bob

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dynamat to cover the entire inside of the door then coat with Lizard Skin..... Absolutely quite and reflects heat too.

Just beware of the crap Eastwood has for sale. It will melt and run at room tempartures of 60 to 70 degrees. I did one of my Alpines partly with it four years ago and still have the runs all over my garage floor .

alpine_64

Donation Time
Pulled my door panels off today in order to replace with new vinyl. Found the asphalt impregnated sound deadening material that should be attached to the door skin had fallen away and had crumpled at the bottom of the door cavity.
What are you using as a replacement material ?
Bob
It unusual to find the original at the bottom of the door.
You don't need to cover the whole door, nuts a patch in the middle. Also remember there was a plastic sheet on the inner face to protect the door cards from water.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have been using "Q-Pads for 23 years
Q-Pads2.jpg

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've always found the original sound deadening at the bottom of the doors on cars that
have sat and are now being restored. It would be unusual to find one with the original stuff
stuck to the doors. It's always caught up in the window winders!

It's always fun to clean out doors as you never know what you'll find. I've found everything
from keys to money and even a fork!

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
You don't need to cover the whole door, nuts a patch in the middle. Also remember there was a plastic sheet on the inner face to protect the door cards from water.
I found a vendor, secondskinaudio.com that makes self adhesive sound deadning products for audio industry. I lined both inside and outside of internal door pocket (I removed all internals for full access and sound deadened everywhere I could get to). Huge improvement to remove the clunky/can sound when shutting the car door. Also highty recommend their spray can contact cement. A friend used a product called lizardskin that is brushed on and it worked well also (he did this with all door internals installed

alpine_64

Donation Time
I've always found the original sound deadening at the bottom of the doors on cars that
have sat and are now being restored. It would be unusual to find one with the original stuff
stuck to the doors. It's always caught up in the window winders!

It's always fun to clean out doors as you never know what you'll find. I've found everything
from keys to money and even a fork!
That was autocorrect.. was meant to be not unusual to find at the bottom.. finding it on the skin is rare....
The other thing I've found in the bottom of doors is glass .....

fireroad

Donation Time
Dynamat to cover the entire inside of the door then coat with Lizard Skin..... Absolutely quite and reflects heat too.

Just beware of the crap Eastwood has for sale. It will melt and run at room tempartures of 60 to 70 degrees. I did one of my Alpines partly with it four years ago and still have the runs all over my garage floor .
Hi Dan - If I’m following you attached the Dynamat directly to the door then coated the Dynamat in Lizard Skin? I’m getting ready to do the floor and firewall and had planned to do Lizard Skin directly to the metal then Dynamat on top once it cured.

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
I wirebrushed metal floors, then painted with brush on RustOleum enamel before coating with Lizard Skin which is water based and I just did not trust putting on the metal floor. Applied the LizardSkin, waited a few days then painted again ontop of the Lizard skin to seal it up a bit before putting a dynamat type product on top - floors are never hot from the exhaust, sure it helps with reducing road noise.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
We use 4mm silent coat ALL OVER the inside of the door skins, not just in the centre. It is also good for inside or outside along the transmission tunnel and bulkhead. We cover both sides of the lock bar with self adhesive felt, this stops any rattling when you shut the door.
On the floor where you step we use the meltable bitumen sheets where you heat them with a hairdryer and roller them onto the floor panel. When the cool they give a very hardwearing floor covering that you can put carpet sound deadening and carpet on top of. I like to shut the doors and get a deep 'clunk'. It is the mark for a high quality, well looked after, car.

Attachments

• P1140176.JPG
    P1140176.JPG
    557.3 KB · Views: 29
  • P1140180.JPG
    P1140180.JPG
    543.7 KB · Views: 30
  • P1140184.JPG
    P1140184.JPG
    610 KB · Views: 31

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes, I recovered the boards with automotive carpet. It is also sound deadening. We did all of the rear trim area with it too.
Tim RP1140116.JPGP1140203.JPGP1140282.JPGP1140625.JPG

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
As Alpine 64 says that is a magnetic holder for my iPhone. I use it as my Sat Nav when in the Alpine and it sends music to either a wireless speaker or Air Pods. My one is wired and I attach a charging wire to my iPhone when I put it on the mount. On my son's Series IV he has a similar arrangement but it is totally wireless (see photos below).
Tim R

Attachments

• IMG_0094.jpeg
    IMG_0094.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1938.jpeg
    IMG_1938.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks to all for their input. I went with the Dynamat product. used one 12 inch X 36 inch section per door. Cleaned out all debris from the bottom of the doors ( rust, old bits of crap, etc. ) sprayed the lower section of the inner doors with bed liner repair spray. Will use the 10cm foam heat insulation that I bought to cover the floors, as it's not so great at vertical applications. I did try it on the doors, but removed it in favour of the Dynamat.
Cheers, Bob