• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Door rubber fitment

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
I am about to fit my door rubber weather-strip I purchased from Sunbeam Specalties. The hard rubber foot (see photo) fits in a groove that goes down the back and under the door. I attempted to slide the rubber foot into the groove but found that friction keeps me from pushing the rubber wether-strip very far into the groove track around the door. I also tried to slip one side of the hard rubber foot into the groove and then push the other side into the door groove but was unsuccessful. I'm afraid this tactic will tear up the foot. I'm now thinking it might be a good idea to use some assembly lube on the rubber foot so that it will slide into the groove. Before I make a complete greasy mess of this, I thought I would ask for advice from those of you who have accomplished this task successfully. Thanks in advance for any suggestions, Door Rubber & track provile .jpg

greenbean

Donation Time
I popped in one side and used a 3 inch wide putty knife that I rounded the corners on, so as not to tear the rubber, and and worked at popping it all in. In the tight areas I used a plastic tool, about 1/2 wide with a tapered side, that I had from installing the stainless steel trim into the windshield gasket (I think I got the tool from Victoria British when I bought a new windshield from them). It really was not that difficult, it just takes persistence like every other install on these great cars, and I did this all when it was 100 degrees outside, gulp!!! Maybe this made my Weatherstripping a bit more pliable, not sure.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
You need to push and pull alternately, be sure the track doesn't have any kinks in it and try spray silicon not grease.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Used dish washing soap and water in a spray bottle. Push pull method as junk man mentioned works good. Make sure the track has no dents or kinks in them. Used a needle nose to unkink any problem area. If you have a small section about 6" to slide thru you can find the problem areas.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Here's a tip buy some wind lace from McMaster Carr works way better than the other we put it along the pinch weld from the top of the windshield to where you see in pictureIMG_2044.JPG

Billm

Gold Level Sponsor
What Grenbean said...... I did a door and the rubber popped out in several spots, I am going to use a dab or two of Of 3 M weatherstrip adhesive where the seal goes around the corners of the doors.

65beam

Donation Time
Before trying to install the rubber you should run a small pick or something similar thru both of the channels to make sure they're not bent or obstructed. Set the back side into the channel and then work the outside in.