• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Door removal decision

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
I have seen some concerns about aligning doors once removed. The doors on the SV fit perfectly. I am torn whether to remove them to jam the doors or just mask off and leave the original patina. If getting them re-aligned is no problem then off they come. Any experiences out there?

Thanks,
Jim

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Jim,
Based on the number of 'horror stories' about re-aligning doors, I'd leave them on. It seems it's best not to add more paint to the area under the hinge anyway, so it seems it would be better to just work around them. Several folks have recommended drilling one or two locating holes through each hinge, into the body, that is a tight fit for a pin. This is to ensure that the parts go back together exactly as they were. Just remember not to take the hinges off the door, not to mix them up w.r.t. their original location, etc. I'd save the aggrivation and spend the patience on something like, oh, getting the carbs to work, etc. But that's just me...

Good luck!
Ken

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
If repainting to existing color, I would not remove the doors unless you are painting a show car.

Re-aligning the doors is somewhat a PIA, but there are other considerations. If the paint has any metallic in it, the doors must be held vertically when painting. Otherwise, the metallic will not orient itself properly and will look strange when compared to the rest of the body. You will probably find stubborn bolts. Also, the simple act of bolting the doors onto the car is difficult and almost impossible for one person to do, especially when trying to protect a fresh (and very tender) paint job.

Bill

mikephillips

Donation Time
I wouldn't do it unless you're doing rust or accident damage repair that requires it. I have removed them to fix rust and replace front end sheet metal and as pointed out it can be a pain to get everything back together properly.

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
If you want to remove your doors, drill at small 1/8" hole through the hinge before you take them off. Both on the body and on the door.

Put the hole offset up from the bottom so that when you put the doors back on you can slip the drill bit into the hole and they will be in the same position that they were before you took them off.

I have a hard time getting mine where I wanted them, not only were these doors from a different car but they did not fit. I have to weld onto the leading edge and build up the door about 3/8". Now my gap is pretty good. Not perfect but good enough for me.

After I got them where I wanted I drilled the holes. I have had them off and on 5 or 6 times and the go right back where I want them with the pilot holes.