• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Door limiting strap removal

steven

Donation Time
Hi, How do you remove the pin though the metal strap that limits the door travel on a 4/5. My previous car had scew head however this origional one seems to have largeflat head at top with what seems like a slot. It also feels like a rivit at the bottom, not a bolt/nut. The workshop manual does'nt mention them.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
I would grind the head off and replace it with a dome-head rivet drilled to take a split cotter pin. At the same time it would be worthwhile drilling the holes slightly oversize to remove any ovality due to wear.

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Hey Steven,

Well there's a coincidence, I was only rebuilding a door check this arvo.

The cars left the factory with the rivet you've described. Any screws, bolts or icy pole sticks found on cars today have been fitted by some unsympathetic repairer in the past. This OE rivet needs the flanged lower end ground or cut off without damaging the tongue it's attached to on the a pillar.

Last time I tackled this I used an air driven mini drill with a right angled cut off wheel. A Dremel or similar would probably do the same job. Normally you'd simply drill off the end of the rivet but here the space is limited.

When you do finally remove the check strap you'll find the limiting box inside the door skin has been crushed to some extent and the rubber cushion that used to contact this area has dissolved and fallen into the bottom of the door.

Is this for the r/h door on the Tiger? Being the passenger side the above parts may have survived a bit better but you wont know till you get in there. Saw the pics on the CAT forum, the poor bugger looks a bit sad. Good luck with the resto.

Cheers, Lance.

steven

Donation Time
Thanks Lance, looks like i have to use a abrasive force to remove, what a bugger. Now I have to buy a mini grinder for my dremile tool.:eek:
Steven

steven

Donation Time
Turned out to be an easy job. fitted small grinding stone to the dremile, wore a headlight LED and removed the flared section of the rivit. Removed the door and all its hardware. Will keep it even though its had a hard wack. It is one of the best origional doors I have seen. All screws/bolts came out easy, the door has no sign of rust at all. Hope the rest of the build goes as well.:D

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Timely question and answers. I was just getting ready to remove my doors.

So, how do you put it back together?

Mike

steven

Donation Time
Hi Mike, looking at the rivit, I assume a large flat head bolt of the right size. Have the threads cut of, drill a small hold in the end and insert a small split pin. At the same time replace the felt/rubber pad on the door side of the limiting strap with another one.

65beam

Donation Time
strap

in order to make repairs easier order a new door limiting strap from sunbeam specialties and he will send you the piece to fasten it to the a post. only someone standing on their head would know the difference.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Timely question and answers. I was just getting ready to remove my doors.

There was a suggestion here once before that made a lot of sense to me: before you remove the doors, drill a small hole through each hinge and into the door frame. That way, you will be able to re-align everything by just putting a nail through the hinge and into the original hole. I gather getting the doors properly hung is a real PITA and this sounds like a great way to make the process a whole lot easier.