• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Door handles/glass/track felts

kmathis

Donation Time
So, I am at the final assembly of my car after a complete strip down to the metal; body work; prime; paint; re-wire...etc and I get down to the re-assembly of the door handles; glass tracks and window regulators, not to mention the fixed wind wing assembly. Four days later, I am finally finished with one door:D.
When I bought the window channel felts replacement kit from Sunbeam Specialties it came with instructions that said at the top..."Instructions for the determined owner":eek:. That was my first clue that this wasn't going to be easy.

Why is it that it only takes twenty minutes to get all of that stuff out of the door; but it takes an embarrasingly long time to put it all back in.

Turned out good, though...I am hoping that I learned something and the passenger door will go a little faster

If anyone needs any help with the order of assembly of any of this stuff; I have taken it apart and put it back together enough times to memorize the order.:rolleyes:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o5jav6wdjr4iikc/W32EIfcY_B

alpine_64

Donation Time
Kelly,

That's the start of a great tech article! The pictures of a dis/re-assemble of the window winders and windows is a really useful thing. I am likely to have to do this on my SII soon to replace the felts (and on 1 side.. put them in)

socorob

Donation Time
I did it about a month ago on my S2. What a PITA! I think I may have gotten some off size parts though. It took soap, a block of wood, and all 210 pounds of me pressing on it while hitting it with a hammer to get them to go in and it was tearing up the back side of the felt channels by crushing the ends. I had to dremel off a little of each one where they crushed. I called SS and told them about it, which i wasn't a happy camper when I called. The liner tracks were almost the same size as the chrome tracks they were supposed to go into. Well SS took great care of me, sent me ones to replaces the ones that got smashed to bits trying to slide them into the tracks. About 2 went about halfway in before they started to crush and got destroyed. It took me forever to get those 2 back out. The replacement ones SS sent me slid in in about a minute, with just pushing force. I don't know if the 1st ones I got were from a bad batch or what? The last 2 pieces took me about 2 or 3 minutes to put in, the 1st 4 pieces took me a few hours to get in, and i screwed them up a little in the process. they were definitely different sizes when I put them against each other by maybe 1/64" or something, but that was enough to make all the difference in the world.

kmathis

Donation Time
Well, the instructions are pretty good and luckily I didn't have the troubles that Robbie has had with his install. So, follow those instructions and you will find if you take enough time it will go well.
I removed the fixed glass from the frame and did the new rubber between the metal channel ways and the glass, and also removed the door glass from the horizontal regulator track (Camplate) and re-did the rubber on that as well.
I have the "Instructions for the determined owner" on replacing those channel felts, and I also have a Tech Tips on removing rattles from the doors, that also goes over the install of these items. If you need those, PM me and I will scan them into a PDF file and e-mail them to you. They are very helpful.:)

65beam

Donation Time
felts

one channel has a felt, the other uses a fuzzy channel that rivets in. the felt has to be glued. make sure you remove all of the old. the hard channel is without a doubt not the same in size as the original. drill out the rivets and remove the old. then slide the fuzzy channel over the glass and work the metal channel on. it may require a little bending to make it all fit. it's a slow process. once the two pieces slide easy on the glass,remove it and rivet in the new.

kmathis

Donation Time
Hi,

The original channel liners in the front channel of the door, were rivited in, however the new channel liners from Sunbeam Specialties are pressure fit and require no riviting or gluing. However, I did use contact cement, at the very bottom of the channel way, and I pressed them in using a paint stick, which is just about the same thickness as the glass. Then after they were in place, I did push them onto the glass and slide them back and forth to be sure they seated into the channel way.

As 65Beam, says; it is a slow process and you can take the whole day or two, or was it three, in my case, just dis-assembling, removing, cleaning and then re-assemble.:)

65beam

Donation Time
felts

kelly,
the shop that does my body restorations used rivets to secure what rick sells. otherwise they will move over time.

socorob

Donation Time
On my S2 there is no need to pop rivet them in. In fact I probably will never be able to remove 4 of the 6 pieces ever again. I think they are so tight you would have to wait for them to rust out before you will be able to replace them. It sounds like the later cars install differently also. On the S2 you have to slide the track in from the bottom or top edge, you can't put them in from the long side.

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I put the channels today. Fronts slid right in. No problem. Rears were a bit more work but I was all done in about an hour. Front and rear.