• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dolphin gauges and the gas tank float ?

beijing_ken

Donation Time
Hi All,

I am slowly moving forward on my little project and I had bought a set of Dolphin gauges ages ago, well, I was going through the box and found they also include a gas tank float.

My question is - do I have to use the float supplied or can I use the existing/stock float ?

I must have forgotten about the float, as the gas tanks are in my car.

Does nay one have any experience with this little issue ?

Please and thank you,

Ken

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
You can measure the resistance of the Dolphin fuel sender in various positions and compare those to the stock fuel sender. looks like you have a series IV based on previous posts. The stock fuel sender puts out ~250 ohms for Empty, 18 ohms for Full, and 68 ohms for half-full.

Mike

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Will it even fit? As far as I know, the gas tank opening is unique and a generic float might take quite a bit of work to install.

loose_electron

Donation Time
I have Speed Hut gauges that are designed to calibrate to the sending unit. Are the "dolphin" gauges designed for a fixed sender or ???

beijing_ken

Donation Time
Thank to all,

I guess I will hook things up at some point and see if the gas gauge works, and if not, ...

Figure something out as I go along.

I will send an email to Dolphin Gauges to ask what they think.

Thanks again,

Ken

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I've installed several different types of sender's in the stock tanks,vdo speed hut and it's not really a big deal to do. We used one of speed hut's tube type they work rather well no float!

beijing_ken

Donation Time
Hi All,

I heard back from Dolphin Gauges and this is what they said:

Ok that won't work(the original sending unit) but you can either put ours in or there is a component that summit ,Jegs , speedway motors sells that is called a fuel sender module that will take the ohms coming out of sender and convert it to 0-90

Thanks to all again,

Ken

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I managed to get the Dolphin sender to work a few years back. If I recall, I had to remove the mounting plate, cut a new one to match the opening size, mount the sender to the new plate, and cut the drop bar to length and figure out where the the pivot arm worked best. I remember drawing an arc on paper and estimating the full/empty range based on the swing of the stock float and its ohm rating at various points and making the Dolphin float match up to that.

Now that I lay all that out, I'm a little surprised it even works.

loose_electron

Donation Time
I managed to get the Dolphin sender to work a few years back. If I recall, I had to remove the mounting plate, cut a new one to match the opening size, mount the sender to the new plate, and cut the drop bar to length and figure out where the the pivot arm worked best. I remember drawing an arc on paper and estimating the full/empty range based on the swing of the stock float and its ohm rating at various points and making the Dolphin float match up to that.

Now that I lay all that out, I'm a little surprised it even works.
I did something similar with the SpeedHut gauge. The new sending unit was a screw in fit but the length of the float arm needed to be adjusted and angled so it would swing from min to max over the range of the top-bottom of the tank. After that was worked out the SpeedHut gauges let you go empty tank, and hit calibrate, then full tank hit calibrate and you are good to go. Final result was very accurate, with no complaints.