• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

DMV California Inspection

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Any idea what the inspection is California is like? My Alpine fell out of the system because I hadn't registered it in a long time and when I went to register it, they couldn't find anything. I had to write a letter on a form they had telling the story of how I got it and why I hadn't registered it in a long time (Sat out in the back yard essentially).

What should I have working? What doesn't matter? What do they look for? Anything and everything you know is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
As far as I can tell, 1985 and older do not require a smog cert. You may have to have the vin verified at your local CHP ( have to make an appointment), Brake and Lamp inspection (back up lights are REQUIRED). After that, you are good to go.

Slainte

Donation Time
My information is a number of years old, so it may not be of use. After ten years of non-op, I took my V6 conversion to the DMV for registration. The woman who checked it out - as in, looked at it for less than a minute - seemed to recognize there was something non-standard about it, but she didn't ask any questions, and I didn't volunteer any information. She checked the lights, wandered around the car, and signed off on it. Backup lights were not required at the time. I have never needed to have the car smogged. I don't think you'll have any problems.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
So it sounds like you've done a statement of facts and they may send you to CHP..
Did they find a secondary ID?
I've done about five motorcycles and three cars that were out of system.. sometimes it's better to go with a registration service pay them their 75 bucks and not waste hours at the DMV and possibly the CHP getting your car inspected.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
So it sounds like you've done a statement of facts and they may send you to CHP..
Did they find a secondary ID?
I've done about five motorcycles and three cars that were out of system.. sometimes it's better to go with a registration service pay them their 75 bucks and not waste hours at the DMV and possibly the CHP getting your car inspected.

Is there a service that you've used in the past that you'd recommend?

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I know a fellow who lives out in Riverside county who is a retired CHP inspector. He can come by and do the inspection for you which is a really great if you have something you don't want to trailer to the CHP or DMV. I'm waiting for somebody to come along and say well I got it done at AAA, and yes they used to. The thing to remember is different states do it differently your results may vary depending upon the clerk's attitude your attitude or the supervisors attitude and/or lack of knowledge, or how much. knowledge they possess, or how many times they have to call Sacramento to their own private supervisor line to get the right answer. You can't get any corrections done usually unless you go to the CHP. However I got them to put a b in front of my VIN number like on my VIN tag and I got them to take off the designation. Technically according to my inspectors that I have used the designation is not part of the VIN number. Typically places that are near military bases have registration services some of them also have vehicle inspection services.
The best money I ever spent was to pay $100 to get a car I got for free car, titled inspected paperwork done and then handed to me. Then I sold the car for full boat pricing with just a wash down and didn't have to deal with the buyer's objections.

Plan b is the Vermont license idea.

Last edited:

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I have done a VIN statement of facts by any peace officer in the past for a car that was purchased out of state. You can ask one or call your local office.
You can do that and save time at the DMV. As stated by another member, sometimes the DMV clerk can do it (depends on their mood I guess).

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Cal DMV can be as challenging as anything and just as inconsistent.

I started the Reg for the WR Alpine at AAA, they sent me to the DMV because the car was "OUT of the system".

However, I have seen AAA do EVERYTHING on a car that was from out of state and ONLY had a "Bill of Sale"

To get the WR Alpine DONE, it ONLY took 5 trips to the DMV....

Good LUCK, .... and ANYTHING else that helps.

DW

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Let's talk about the ins and outs.
In a signed valid pink slip from any state or a transferable registration just like the ones that come from Vermont.
You can get one as an easy button from Vermont by paying them the license fee and paying them the sales tax. If you look it up you will see the rules that they have. No I don't want to hear anything about you can't drive a Vermont plated car in California for more than 14 days... The only reason for doing this through Vermont is you get a transferable registration and you don't have to jump through a bunch of hoops. Then when you feel like it or a year's up you take that transferable registration in and bang you're done..

Bill of sale is the hardest, not having two VIN numbers is also hard..
I've done at least 10 different combinations no title out of system, never registered non US spec. Bill of sale.. title with no corrections. Title improperly keyed in VIN from the dealership.. as well as the 5 year of manufacturer mother may I please register this car in your fine state.. As Dan said results vary, but I do guarantee you that AAA at least in southern California does not do any more vehicle inspections period.

To continue the theory if you're within the 14 days the car has an active title or bill of sale you allegedly can pull up to the area at the DMV where they are lining up to do driving tests..
Then when they come out the bounce you you can request a VIN inspection. this is what several clerks have told me as well as their supervisors standing right next to them at the Torrance DMV and at the Temecula DMV.. again your results may vary depending upon the weather their mood your mood and the alignments of the planets. PS I've never done a Vermont title but I know guys that do it on small motorcycles and other vehicles because the state of Vermont does not issue titles for motorcycles or cars either it's 15 or 25 years old I can't remember. Many many years ago I was traveling in Europe bought a car and had Virginia send me an out-of-state tourist plate I slapped it on the car and drove all over the place, I believe they still do it as well.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Since it's a conversion just hope you don't need to document where you got the engine, trans etc and show receipts.

You may luck out and show it was Reg'd as it stands and sign a Certificate of Non Operation.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
They don't care about the motor the reason I mentioned it was Alpine's can have the engine stamped as a secondary. Some AAA will allow call in to run a VIN number to see if it is in system. In addition if you have plate and VIN number you can see if back fees are due. Back fees can be escaped. Have escaped back fees 3X for a total of over 1500 bucks.