• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dissy 180 degs out of wack

mattinoz

Donation Time
OK Sunbeamers, riddle me this.. It appears from all the literature that I can find that my dissy is 180deg out. The Vacuum diaphram points to the rear and not the front. The cap appears to be in the correct position with No1 lead at 2 o'clock. So could this be a dissy from some other rootes car? The image illustrates

65beam

Donation Time
out of wack

you can set the vac unit wherever you want. i have always switched it to be at the back so that i can run the vac hose to the back of the motor. it has never given me a problem as long as i have the plug wires in the right place.

mattinoz

Donation Time
OK so it's possible to rotate the dissy through 360degs is it? If so then what you say make perfect sense. Clearly it will only work in 1 of 2 possible locations, where the books say it should be or 180 deg apposed as mine is. Thanks

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Matt, If the #1 lead is at 2 O'Clock and the dizzy is backwards, then the last time the camshaft or oil pump was installed it was installed incorrectly. This is a common situation. If you look in the manual about installing the timing chain it has you line up the dots on the cam and crank sprokets at TDC. UNFORTUNTELY most people do not realize that this position is TDC for Piston # 1 on the EXHAUST STROKE, and thus is 180 degree out of postion for instaling the oil pump shaft. Many people install the cam etc, following the instructions, and then assume that this is TDC on the FIRING stroke, and then proceed to installing the oil pump per the oil pump instructions. What needs to be done is after the timing chain is installed, you must rotate the crank 360 degrees to bring piston #1 to the TDC FIRING stroke and then install the oil pump.

There is no real need to reinstall the oil pump. You can leave the car as is with the vacuum on the back side. or you could repostion the dizzy to the normal position but move the wires 2 postions over.

But this is why your Alpine looks different.

And NO your car will not run with the dizzy in either 180 position - UNLESS you also swap the wires on the distributor cap.

Tom

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Matt, Never mind! I should not try thinking late at night with a cold! If your Alpine runs with the #1 wire at the 2 O'Clock position, then the distributor shaft (and rotor) are lined up correctly. And you can orient the distributor housing in any of the 4 positions - as is now or in 90 deg increments from that. But be sure to put the #1 wire at the 2 O'clock position- and the others follow suit.

Tom

mattinoz

Donation Time
Thanks Tom. My late night thinking is usally done after a glass or 2 of red. Produces similar results I have to say.:eek:

CYoung

Donation Time
I am getting ready to put back my dizzy . . what is the original orientation ? ( vacuum chamber facing the rear of the engine or the front ) ?