• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Differential breather

Slainte

Donation Time
I'm having a bit of trouble solving a leakage problem in my SV differential. I believe I've located the leak at the breather on top of the casing. I've removed the crimped cap, but am unsure how to proceed. There is a small structure in the vent stack which moves back and forth quite freely. The top of his structure has a handy little hole in it, as if it should be pulled or pried. I am hesitant to do this with too much enthusiasm. I've not found any reference to this in the WSM, nor can I find discussion anywhere on the forums. Thanks in advance for any information you can send my way.
Ryan

Slainte

Donation Time
Thanks for replying, Tom. I'd seen that reference to the breather, but it didn't shed any light on my problem. I've checked everywhere else for leaks, and the only definite trail in the dust runs from the breather, and down the side of the pumpkin to the drain plug. Then, interestingly, as the car is driven, the oil blows back onto the spare tire well, where it seeps up through the drain holes into the well, leaving a nice pool in the well for the tire to sit in. I guess my question has become, what would cause that much oil to blow up through the breather?