• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Diff oil

alpine_64

Donation Time
Alpine diff oil whats best . GL4 or GL5 !!. Or Synthetic?.
Don't use synthetic for sure...
The diff takes a hypoid bevel oil iirc... There is an equivalent available for the factory spec... It's been a while since I did mine so can't recall off the top of my head.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
While on the subject...
Every pump I have bought is a pile of crap. I finally put a long tube through the boot vent hole into the rear end. With no lift and not much patience it's less on the floor and les crap in the eye balls...
But the transmission is another challenge, as there's no convenient ho and same crappy pump problems.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
MK, On behalf of the syn cartel, just what do you have on them? :)

....or They on U.... :)

DW

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Warren, don't you have the access hole on the transmission tunnel, right hand side?
Works great with funnel and hose.

alpine_64

Donation Time
MK, On behalf of the syn cartel, just what do you have on them? :)

....or They on U.... :)

DW
I know nothing... Honest boss.. i didn't tell them anything... You know I love the syn boys .. I just tried to give em the good oil....

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Tigers don't have a hole on the passenger side. There's a removable plate on the driver's side for adjustment of shift linkage. I suspect that I'll try a longer tube and a higher gravity feed.
It took a couple of pumps to get to this stage. I talked to a fellow Tiger owner and he in person motioned at how high he places the fill bottle.
And yes it can be like molasses in January , even though I have never seen or used molasses in January:)

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Personally I think that you should only use an EP 90 Oil, and it should be GL4. GL5 can has some attributes that can be extremely harsh on the various metals used in older applications.

Tim R

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I put a shiny brass key in the GL5 oil. I left it in there for over a year, and it looked like the day I put it in. Don't miss the "Oil Expert." He's busy trolling MK on another forum. But I hate to "" him but he espoused that they put additives in the GL5 to not hurt yellow metals.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Where is there any brass or other "yellow metal" in a Series Alpine rear axle assembly? Definitely in the transmission, but in the rear axle assembly?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Where is there any brass or other "yellow metal" in a Series Alpine rear axle assembly? Definitely in the transmission, but in the rear axle assembly?
As far as I'm aware no brass in the rear end...
I know that there is in the trans.. same in the trans on the Tiger.. so have to be careful what oils you put in..

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
I went through my series V rear axle. (The pinion seal leaked, and I was scared by some rear end's having loose ring gear bolts....) I used Amsoil Severe Gear 80W-90. I have used that lube in repairing gears (professionally) since about 1980. Anyway, new differential bearings are set up tight, the pinion turns at 20-25 inch-pounds of torque, and so new axles can get hot while breaking in. That lube, first time I used it, kept the new axle job cooler to the touch than I had ever seen.....I trust it. Here is a link with data, including ASTM D130 test for copper (alloys like brass) corrosion. https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/databulletins/g2043.pdf

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
s
I put a shiny brass key in the GL5 oil. I left it in there for over a year, and it looked like the day I put it in. Don't miss the "Oil Expert." He's busy trolling MK on another forum. But I hate to "" him but he espoused that they put additives in the GL5 to not hurt yellow metal.
I like the "leave a brass key in the oil" test.....Turns out, there is a lab test for that. ASTM D130 puts a polished copper strip in the test lube for three hours at 100C (or 50C for fuels). The rating for my favorite gear lube is "1b" which means the polished test strip has a slight tarnish.