• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Diesel???

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Not that this is something I could afford doing, but I've been watching a lot of the British "Top Gear" reruns and they talk about European cars w/little diesel engines that have power , great milage and quiet.
Anyone ever consider this as an engine swap?
I know the US kinda killed diesels in the 70's, like nukes, but there are a few.
What's the deal?
I remember diesel was cheaper than gas before Carter. W/the gas shortages, I remember that diesels were starting to become more popular, even w/the clatter. Then somehow it became more expensive and diesel became a high end "niche" market. Seems like the clatter and smoke problems have been solved, why ain't they here in the US?
Just curious
Ron

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Diesels are becoming a bit more prevalent across the world, only slightly so in the US though.

The smoke issues are resolved with careful mapped injection timing often with piloted injection.

They still smell awful and for asthmatics like myself the lack of visible soot doesnt mean much in terms of air quality.

Why do you see them on top gear?
Well in the UK it seems that they are bigger on fuel economy than emissions and diesel packs nearly double the BTUs per gallon compared to gasoline.
This means potential for much higher power and fuel economy as compared to gas jobs.

65beam

Donation Time
diesel

the only thing coming out the stack on new trucks is hydrogen and oxygen. they're not like the old diesel. one of the things that sometimes cause problems on medium duty navastar trucks is the particulate filter.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
the only thing coming out the stack on new trucks is hydrogen and oxygen. they're not like the old diesel. one of the things that sometimes cause problems on medium duty navastar trucks is the particulate filter.

Not so (particularly on the hydrogen and oxygen comment).
The newer injection systems are vastly better than the older but I can assure you the particulate is still there as are unburned HCs,

If all that was coming out the stack was water vapor and CO2 then the EPA wouldn't have mandated catalytic particulate filters on all new non-commercial diesel trucks.

socorob

Donation Time
New ford diesel trucks inject urea into the exhaust that is chemically similar to urea in urine to clean it up before it comes out. I dont know if you have to have this scondary tank filled every so often, and how much that will cost or where you get it, but theres a 2nd fill tube for it. Maybe after a night of drinking many beers with your friends you can refill it yourself.

Appaently all US diesel trucks may use this...

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/0...reviews-nox-reduction-solutions-for-2010.html

65beam

Donation Time
diesel

rootes racer,
maybe you should talk to the truck manufacturers. the particulate filters burn off the particulates at regular intervals. it a combination of all things involved that clean up what comes out the stack. one of the companies that i rep for is the largest supplier of DEF in the states and it is a mix of ammonia and water. i've been thru several training sessions and i believe what they say. i have printed material explaining what is done and how it works . many of my customers could not believe what cummins did to clean up under the hood with the new engines. on the new KW's that one of my customers is adding to his fleet, the injection unit sets under the cab on the right side where they used to hang a fuel tank. replacement cost is 19K. not only are the engines clean but mileage is better also. if the trucks are on the road and run out of DEF, the cummins will continue to run but will cut back to 75% power until refilled with DEF. if you shut it off it will not restart until refilled. i drove one of the new KW's and it's a whole different world from what i was buying 10 years ago. i was worried back in 2003 when i ordered the first class 8 trucks with a catalytic convertor on them. that's nothing to what is on them now. i'm glad i'm retired from that job. get close to a new truck and see if you smell the diesel fumes of yesterday. nothing like years past when we turned up the fuel for power and black smoke poured from the stack. you can now be red tagged if black smoke is excessive.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
rootes racer,
maybe you should talk to the truck manufacturers...

No need, I design equipment for them.

You'll get no grief from me that they have come a log way, but they still emit soot and CO and CO2 and HCs and NOx...

My asthma prevents me from working around or near a running diesel new or otherwise (from the soot that's not there).