• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Details on race car

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
It is a new year and there were some neat race car finds this year. I wanted to point out two details... if you find them on a car then there is a high probability the car was raced in the SCCA.

r2.jpg

Welded or modified throttle bracket

r3.jpg

Upper engine mount added

Believe it or not, the last car I looked at which had these details showed no other signs of being raced. Zero visual clues that would suggest otherwise... however, records show that this car had run in numerous SCCA events from 1961-65.

Sometimes the upper engine mount is missing but the exhaust hanger still remains on the firewall.

My point is to keep an eye out. Maybe 2008 will be even better.

Steve

2mnysnbms

Donation Time
Hello
What is the correct level for the steering box and what do I fill it with? It is an old race car so...
Thanks

64beam

Donation Time
Hello
What is the correct level for the steering box and what do I fill it with? It is an old race car so...
Thanks

Hi,

Whether the car is a race car or road car it should not matter (the racers out there will most certainly prove me wrong though). A manual I have suggests using a SAE 90 oil (same as a stock Alpine diff oil) in the steering box, but due to leaks alot of us have used grease to good effect. I suppose at the end of the day, it would depend on your steering setup and the loads it has under racing conditions.

Hope it helps anyway,

Regards, Robin.