• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Decision: upgrade to a 2.8, install 289, or sell car

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
Bought this car going on two years ago. It had been sitting for 15 years. I went through the brakes, fuel, rusty floor pan. Squared away he wiring and now it starts, stops, runs, drives, charges, all the lights work. My really only issue is that the 2.6 4 speed out of a 73 Capri is lacking the get up and go that I’m looking for.

My options are:
1. Put the 289 /T5 ready motor in it. I know the huge amount of work and $ involved and I would leverage a very skilled, multi Tiger owner mechanic to do the things I cannot.

2. Pull the 2.6 out and 2.8/5speed in. I have not found any 2.8’s for sale locally for the past year or so.

3. Sell it to someone who is fine with what the car has to offer and buy Fastiger’s (corrected) car with the plan to put a 5 speed in it.

thoughts?
8FA1BDE4-5094-4256-9DE5-58D0F981F527.jpeg 4FB10DC2-5B8A-4057-913B-9510E80B094D.jpeg

Last edited:

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Has the engine been compression tested? Maybe there's a problem with it? I'd figure a 2.6 set up right is going to do a nice job not just keeping up with a 289 but it'd be a lot more agile and balanced.

If this was mine, I'd have the engine gone through and source out a 5 speed. What kind of rear you got?

How bad is the rust?

I mean yours is converted so all the hard work is done. Be easier to just upgrade if that's where you're heading and call it a day, if you want to keep it.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
You could also do a 2.9 or 4.0 V6. Dan R has headers that fit those motors. Jerry has the Alger for sale I didn't know Warren had one for sale.

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
First thing I did was a compression test, which was good, then full tune up, then new 32/36 carb, then electronic ignition. Starts first click, rev’s smooth, but just doesn’t have get up and go.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you are that unhappy with the 2.6, I don't think twelve more cubic inches is the answer. Hold on a few more months. DanR is in the final steps of installing a Ford 4.0 V6 into an Alpine. 245 cu. in. instead of 168. His currant problem: Controlling the 4.0 with a MicroSquirt. Yes, he had worked out all the problems of physically installing the beast! EFI is virgin territory for Dan and he is being slowed down by his expert. The final results should be well worth the wait.

Bill

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I'd take option 2 or 3, but I'd also consider the 4.0. For option 1, you need a skilled Tiger body man, not a Tiger mechanic.

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
I'd take option 2 or 3, but I'd also consider the 4.0. For option 1, you need a skilled Tiger body man, not a Tiger mechanic.
He’s had multiple tigers and alger, he more than capable, but it will cost $$.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
If you are that unhappy with the 2.6, I don't think twelve more cubic inches is the answer. Hold on a few more months. DanR is in the final steps of installing a Ford 4.0 V6 into an Alpine. 245 cu. in. instead of 168. His currant problem: Controlling the 4.0 with a MicroSquirt. Yes, he had worked out all the problems of physically installing the beast! EFI is virgin territory for Dan and he is being slowed down by his expert. The final results should be well worth the wait.

Bill

This is really interesting! Does the 4.0 bolt in with the standard kit DanR sells or is this something different?

alpine_64

Donation Time
What kind of performance are you looking for?
A warm 2.8 V6 would keep up or beat a stock Tiger...

Is it torque you want.. brutal acceleration? Keep in mind if installing a V8 apart from the cost of the body work you will need to do a steering converison... If you i stall a hopped up V8 you will probably need better brakes too...

Id suggest either build a warm 2.8 while you drive the car as is.... Then swap over a weekend...
Or buy the alger and throw a 5 speed in.... BUT .. Maybe test drive the alger first and see if it has the performance you want...

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I don't think Dan is selling a kit at this time. It's just is not in his nature to sell something he has not refined and is sure of, that means "running car on the road".

In short, the major difference between physically installing a 2.8 and a 4.0 is the headers. Fueling is another matter. There is no reasonably priced way to carburate a 4.0, so Dan has elected to keep the 4.0 injection system and control it with a MicroSquirt, a very economical solution, once worked out. And that is where the project remains.

While a warmed over 2.8 is a very fun ride and looks fabulous, it is no threat to a Tiger. Hell, they are not a threat to my four banger. In order to take on Tigers, the 2.8 has to be elevated from warm to hot, at which point it becomes a pain to drive in normal traffic.

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
I
While a warmed over 2.8 is a very fun ride and looks fabulous, it is no threat to a Tiger. Hell, they are not a threat to my four banger. In order to take on Tigers, the 2.8 has to be elevated from warm to hot, at which point it becomes a pain to drive in normal traffic.

Bill

What hp did the josev6 cam, Pruett head mod and headers setup push out? Iirc. JimE was pulling mid 13s down the 1/4.

A stock 260 Tiger has 136hp net (164 gross) .. About 115 to the wheels.. Off the line fast they will hit 60mph in 7.8 seconds or mid 8s if to muxh wheel spin and 1/4 in 16.5 to 17.5 again depending on launch.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan is afraid the new cam and changes required in the exhaust and air intake would be too much for the Ford ECU to compensate for. Hence the MicroSquirt. Also going the four bbl route would require wheelbarrow loads of dough. That's assuming all the components are available.

Michael, it appears no one has been able to demonstrate 200 hp in a N/A street friendly engine. 150-170 hp seems to be the most commonly attained power. That's a good bit and makes a fun ride,. At what point was Jim getting those times? By that, I mean state of engine mods. I know at one point he was talking nitrous, don't recall what that evolved into. What a high reviving, small engine does on the racetrack has little relation to what it does on the street. Most of the guys that used Jose's cam were very disappointed and most were removed. Jose was a street racer and he loved that cam. Most of his customers were not racers of any type and had trouble living with it.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
At what point was Jim getting those times? By that, I mean state of engine mods. I know at one point he was talking nitrous, don't recall what that evolved into.
As far as I know, Jim never put the nitrous system into Vader. I don't know what times he achieved, just that it was neck-snappingly fast. But, to your latter point, it wasn't very streetable by my standards. I am hoping something between the stock 2.8 performance and Jim's hotted up engine will make me happy when the time comes.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Michael, it appears no one has been able to demonstrate 200 hp in a N/A street friendly engine. 150-170 hp seems to be the most commonly attained power. That's a good bit and makes a fun ride,.
Bill

150-170hp has you at or above a stock tiger with less weight and a 5 speed.. Sure it wont have the torque of the tiger which is what makes them feel fast....but in theory it should be as fast through the gears as a stock Tiger if not faster due to shorter final drive and closer ratio trans...

Anyway.. All that said.. A simple cam swap and 4bbl on a tiger and they really wake up

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I think there was a thread a long time ago that mentioned Jose had put a turbo on a 2.8 Alpine. That might be the ticket.

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
I decided on another option. Take the car to a real mechanic for a second opinion, which I did today. He drove it around the block and he said it feels like your exhaust is completely plugged up. He is going to unbolt at the headers and take it around the block again.....should know tomorrow, could be an easy fix.

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
Well, a bit embarrassing. It was a easy fix. The carb was only being opened 1/2 way at full throttle. Now that I get all the ponies, it is running as I had expected. I definitely want a V8/manual Alpine or starter Tiger, but I’ll enjoy this car the way it is and decide to paint it or not.