• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

DCOEs & Distributors

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Found another reference that gives these two for the H120:
Lucas 23D4 (no VA) : 41239
Lucas 43D4 (no VA) : 41454 or 41556

Another source says https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/pdf/lucas_distributor_specs.pdf:
41239 Rapier Holbay H120 engine
41454 1974-76 Hunter GLS
41556 1969-75 Dodge (Commer, Karrier, Renault Truck) Imp Van (HC), 1969-75 Talbot Imp, Chamois

It does not have curve info for the second two. But for 41239, it has the info above (probably the same source):

RPM 1 - 3000 Advance1 ±1 - 13
RPM 2 - 900 Advance2 ±1 - 11
RPM 3 - 400 Advance3 ±1 - 2
no advance below - 250

Attachments

• upload_2021-10-3_21-30-27.png
    upload_2021-10-3_21-30-27.png
    58 KB · Views: 6

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
For anyone who cares, I found the chart online for all the Lucas distributors (the other link was bad, it's now https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/pdf/lucas_distributor_specs.pdf). Here are all the Alpine related cars that are in that Lucas list (distributor degrees and distributor rpm):

Note that it's hard to compare because each distributor was noted at a different RPM. It could be that the 1 is the same as 2 and 3, and the SV and Holbay could be the same.

Alpine Distributor Curves.jpg

upload_2021-10-4_7-52-21.png

Last edited:

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Also, for the Distributor 123 options above, it looks like 2 and 7 are the closest. Looks like 7 has a little more initial advance and more higher advance, with 2 just below. However both of them are a tad lower initial advance than a stock 5, and definitely slower than the H120.

Last edited:

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
When I did the twin 38s DCOE installation on my Harrington Le Mans I sent the 25D4 distributor to Jeff at Advance Distributors. He did a mechanical setting for my DCOE setup (No Vacuum). Interesting that at the SUNI VII concourse judging I was dinged a point for not having a vacuum hose. The latter statement is intended as a chuckle moment.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I'm kind of in the same boat. When I switched to Holbay, I had a mechanic who did Lotus race cars help on the engine. He recurved the stock distributor with the springs and weights he used for some Lotuses. I have no idea what they are. And I have nowhere to put the vacuum hose either.
:)

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Adding this info from another website (not my words):

I dragged out the Hunter WM last night before I'd read your responses, which lists the dizzys for Hunter GLS / Holbay engine as ;

Dizzy : Application no
Lucas 23D4 (no VA) : 41239
Lucas 43D4 (no VA) : 41454 or 41556
Lucas 45D4 (VA) : 41604

The first 2 make sense as my understanding is that the 43D4 is bascially a more compact, reliable and better performing replacement for the 23D4 (as per 25D4 / 45D4 comparisons but without vacumn advance).