• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dashboard template...again

dmich2

Donation Time
I am thinking of replacing my vinyl covered dash with a wooden one on my SIV. I've searched old posts, and new ones and have a few questions.

1. It appears 4 types exist; one, like mine, that is wood, maybe:rolleyes: , covered in vinyl that run from one side of the car to the cubby box where a large cutout exists for the cubby. It looks like the cubby is supported on one side by the dash but then is attached to the body elsewhere. Then I've seen plastic molded ones. Next, I've seen wooden ones that go completely across the dash area, and have a smaller cutout for the cubby, but the wooden dash is completely visible all the way across. Lastly, a wooden dash as discribed above, but with a wooden door over the cubby. I believe these may be from Tigers.

2. I've read where some have attempted this task and used marine grade plywood with a hardwood veneer of their choice.

Questions: Does a template exist of the complete dash with door? Is it OK to use a solid piece of wood instead of plywood? A fellow British car club member here in Wilmington has a solid one on his Morgan and insists it will not warp if preped correctly.

Dennis

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dennis. do not have a template, but I have made a dash up out of solid wood. This was for a kit car. I used 5/8" thick black walnut. It did not warp or split which, I think is the main danger. The dash is so small and full of holes, it is not likely to warp. In addition, as the dash is small, it would take a huge warp to be noticeable.

Bill

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
When doing a wooden dash it is IMPORTANTANT that both faces and edges are sealed.Many forget this.Even if the surface area is small and as Mike says a warp will not be noticeable it still should be done.This seals out moisture as well and the finish will last much longer.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Dennis, I have a old wood dash you could use for a template, or a freind of mine in High Point NC has wood dashes made up in soild walnut or plywood vanner. Give me a call. Later George Coleman

mikephillips

Donation Time
if you can you want a template for both sides of the dash so you have some idea what needs to be routed out on the back as well. The switches, knobs gauges and such are each recessed some amount into the bacl to allow for the fasteners. And the ignition switch in a wood dash has a square section routed in back because the switch should havs a square plate to keep it from rotating in the hole.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Dennis-I have a wood dash you can borrow for a template-will give it to you at the SOS on Saturday. Eric

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Wood dashboards for sale

Todd Smith has told me that there will be a woodworker at the show this Sunday that makes wood dashboards and will have several Sunbeam dashboards with him for sale as well as other British car dashboards.
Eric

dmich2

Donation Time
Thanks all for the replies. eric, I can't make the meet, but you can buy me one with all the money you made at the Invasion...;) George, I'll call you. Tom, I saw those templates but wasn't sure how to blow them up to real size and be sure I have them correct. They are very nice as they show correct locations, which I've found from looking at others 'Beams, they can vary a bit...:rolleyes: .

Dennis

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
I recently made a solid wooden dash out of a local tropical timber. Looks great but it was fiddly (I'm not exactly an accomplished woodworker...). Most difficult part was routing out the square recesses to allow for the short-thread lucas toggle switches that I have. Longer-threaded alternative switches would make life much easier.
I decided not to attempt to cut out a glove-box, as the blank timber looked great as it was with a lovely grain. I didn't want to try to cut out a door from the timber in case I screwed the whole thing up (it would have to be very carefully drilled and cut if you want it to open and close, without a big gap, whilst retaining the woodgrain.)

Next job is a matching lid for the centre console (car came with no lid...), and trims to run along the tops of the doors to cover up some horrible holes that a previous owner must have drilled to attach some extra trim.

dmich2

Donation Time
Eric. I just talked to George Coleman in Burlington and the guy he knows in NC is a Frank Lawson that makes the dashboards. Is that the same gentleman that will be at the show this weekend? Get me some prices and contact info please.

Dennis

alpinegt

Donation Time
Marine plywood for dashboard

Dennis,

Have you considered making your dash from plywood like the original and veneering the outside surface. Original dashboards had burl walnut veneer. It is very unlikely that you will find a piece of solid walnut with a lot of figure or burl. Also, the plywood is easier to work and much less likely to warp.

Ebay is a good place to find burl walnut veneer.

I have made dashboards from both and I'll never make another one from solid walnut.

Russ

dmich2

Donation Time
Ghoul, When I was preparing for my dash, I traced the wood dash George lent me, just as a backup. It's for a complete dash, not one of the plastic ones that ran 3/4 the way across and stopped at the cubby. You can use it, if it would help you with your project.

Dennis

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dennis,

Have you considered making your dash from plywood like the original and veneering the outside surface. Original dashboards had burl walnut veneer. It is very unlikely that you will find a piece of solid walnut with a lot of figure or burl. Also, the plywood is easier to work and much less likely to warp.

Ebay is a good place to find burl walnut veneer.

I have made dashboards from both and I'll never make another one from solid walnut.

Russ

I haven't made a dash, but I do make a lot of furniture. I get my veneer from Constantine's in NJ... they have about the best selection around, with some really nice figurals. And I agree that plywood is probably the best backing - it will help prevent warping - but I'd use marine ply instead of normal ply, to improve damp protection and prevent delamination. Also, make sure you coat it with a UV-resistant polyurethane, not the normal stuff. You can easily find that at a boat supply house.

66Tiger

Donation Time
(Rich you beat me to it! LOL)

Use these if you wish...

Link to...Factory Gauges PDF

Link to...Factory Gauges (moved a bit) PDF

Link to...Dash With Autometer gauges PDF

An aluminum dash can look so fine!

5.jpg

lgurley

Donation Time
actual size

I copied these to my computer. How do I get them blown up to actual size? Is there some type of business that would do this?

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I copied these to my computer. How do I get them blown up to actual size? Is there some type of business that would do this?

If your area has a Kinkos, they can make a copy quite BIG but how/whether to expand it to match a specific size...maybe an architectural firm.. ??

the ghoul

Donation Time
Dmich2, thank you for the offer, but I think i have all that i need to go on here.
Boffo! thank you all for the info.
I will post the autocad drawings (for those who have access to a water jet)
what I will do is make the files for all the layers of aluminum (three) and post the thicknesses reccomended....
basically what I am doing is creating an aluminum replacement for the plastic unit, and doing some circular jeweling to give it that aviator effect.... a bit over kill I admit, but i got to do something to keep buisy while getting used to the cold!!!