• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dash Holes

alpine_64

Donation Time
Beamers
Did they make a dash emblem with some dark red behind the gold letters?
Al

Al, some of them have a deep red/maroon colour in the ring where the text is, some have black. Originally i figured the black had faded.. but that was its original colour.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I believe the Singer implementation of that emblem/hole-filler also had a red background on it. Perhaps that's where those red ones came from?

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Attached is a picture of a red background filler. Does anyone know if this is from a SI? I know I have some other SI parts in my collection.

Thanks.

Mike

Attachments

• P1020564.jpg
    P1020564.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 41

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Well is seems that there are two different sizes of plugs. I now have two nice plugs that are to small for the clock hole in my dash.
The hole is original and has not need enlarged.
Any ideas, other than a clock to fill that space. Don't really want to go the clock route.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Of course. Did you not look at the link Puff 4 provided. It shows 2 different sized plugs.

I'll look at my stuff tonight, I'm pretty sure I have a Clock hole plug.

Tom

agmason54

Donation Time
Rob,
I said I would give you a dash emblem for the clock hole with those nice Chrome B pillar caps that you said you wanted..... The small hole tucked in the left corner is for an ammeter. Doesn't your other car have the same dash?
Al

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
The small one in the picture is smaller than the clock filler. He is saying that the clock filler is too small for the hole he has.

Rob, can you post a picture of your dash? Also, measure the size of the hole.

Mike

agmason54

Donation Time
dash holes- one size fits all

All dashes have the same identical size holes.Obviously the clock hole either got enlarged or he is trying to use the ammeter blank in the clock hole which I doubt.....No picture needed to figure this out....
Speaking of dash emblems... here's a neat tip. I removed a dash emblem the other day to eyeball the center nut holding the windshield.I removed the whole windshield without disturbing the dash or laying on my back. It's the only way to paint an Alpine....
Al

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I can get a picture and measure the hole Friday or Saturday. I'm not sure what series car this dash came from but it is different than my series I.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rob, please clarify. You say you have 2 plugs and neither will fill the clock hole. Are the plugs you have different sizes or are both the same size?

If both plugs are the same size and will fit the ammeter hole on the left, then it is a simple matter that you need one of the larger ones that will fit the clock hole. If one is larger than the ammeter hole but still not large enough to fill the clock hole then you have a problem.

Tom

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
All of the small gauges are the same size. Amp meter gas gauge, water temp and oil pressure are all the same size. Saturday ill pull one and try to fit the plug. The hole I need to fill is definitely larger than those. The plugs I have, the outside diameter fits through the hole with maybe a 1/16" to spare.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rob, as promised I looked in my stuff and found a one for the clock hole. It's larger and has the words "Routes Group" . It's condition seems about same as the one described in the e-bay auctionPuff 4 linked:
"AM SELLING THE DASHBOARD GUAGE BLANK OUT PLUG. LARGER FOR CENTER OF DASH WHERE A CLOCK MIGHT BE. IN GOOD NORMAL WEAR CONDITION, CHROME IS IN GOOD SHAPE NO PEALING OR PITTING. PLASTIC IS CLEAR, MINOR DULLING. THE BACKING PAINT IS GOOD WITH NO PEALING, THE SILVER PAINT INSIDE IS GOOD, ROOTES GROUP LETTERING IS GOOD FOR ITS AGE. NOT SHOW BY ANY MEANS BUT GOOD USED EXAMPLE FOR YOUR DRIVER. WILL FIT BOTH WOOD & PLASTIC DASH BOARDS, AS THEY HAVE THE LONGER LEGS ON THE BACK TO GRAB IN THE HOLE. FIT TIGERS AND ALPINES 1960 TO 1967. "

The lettering "Routes Group" on mine is silver, not gold like the one in the e-bay listing

Send me an e-mail ( NOT A PM). Just click on my name at the top and click on "send an e-mail"

Tom

Last edited:

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
In an e-mail to me Rob said:
"I measured the hole and as you said. The clock hole is 2.5". The plugs I have are 2.5" but slide through. I need one the would be 2 7/8" outside diameter. "

I replied:

"Rob, All my dashes are plastic , with a vinyl overlay. If I measure from the backside , measuring only the ID of the hole in the plastic and ignoring the thin vinyl folded into the hole from the front I measure:

Smaller holes like Oil pressure, etc : 2 -1/16"
Plug diameter incl chrome bezel: 2- 1/4"

Clock hole : 2-3/8 "
Plug diameter, inc chrome bezel: 2- 9/16"

If the clock hole in your dash is close to 2 -1/2" I think it was cut oversized and no standard Rootes plug will fit.

I also have a clock and it's outer dia , incl bezel , is 2-9/16" , same as the plug. So buying a standard Rootes / Alpine clock will not solve your problem."

Tom Hayden

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Group, I have attcahed a photo Rob sent me of his dash. It appears to him to be an original, but note that the clock hole is 2-1/2 inches in dia. Bigger than any of my SIV - SV dashes. Is that normal for an earlier Series or does anyone have a good explanation and solution? It seems to me that a standard Alpine plug or Clock will not fit. View attachment 4404

Tom

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
OK.. photos start to explain whats happening.. The clock hole is 2 1/2.. what surprises me is that the SI-3 dashes have raised areas around the gauges and and the heater controls, they also have small raised posts to locate the switch escutcheons, this lacks all of those .. so for starters its not an early series dash.

this is what the eary dashes look like
186701-1000-0.jpg

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Looking at the back of my dash. The clock hole looks to be original and not tampered with.
I am not positive what series call this came from since I purchased it years ago from someone advertising it as a series I.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Rob the early cars had no vinyl covering, just painted barkerlite on the SI/II and crackle finish on the S3. All the early cars have the riased gauge mounts as per the picture posted (except the GT with wood dash on S3 GT).. so the dash is not SI/II/3 .. that i guess is a side point.. the clock hole was the saem on all dashes.. so if stuff isn't fitting it must be modified.