• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dash cubby

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The cubby can be purchased new sometimes but not the surround.

I have a couple of the new cubbys' and would be willing to sell one if you can't find one.

Classic Sunbeam has them listed for Wood dash and Plastic dash $26.

Van Bagley

Donation Time
Thank you for this. I have one just like it. Were they originally made as poorly as the replacements black paper board and staples showing?

alpine_64

Donation Time
The originals were a flocked millboard with a special type of trim staple. The flocking covered the fixings.

The repro depedning on suplly can be a little rough and usually have exposed silver staples.. A black marker or some flocking can fix that

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have had early ones with brads probably brass. They sell a black paint Sharpie at Home Depot.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
50 years ago, I made a plaster mold of my series I cubby box and then laid fiberglass over the mold, popped it off and then painted it.
Jan

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
My cubby in my SV is original and has no sign of ever having been flocked. It's simply black-faced cardboard.

mikephillips

Donation Time
The flocking didn't really last long, don't know why but I suspect it just wasn't glued down very well. Even back in the 70s with my first it was largely gone with leftover bits mostly in the corners where it didn't get as much rubbing from stuff put in the box.